Happy with the switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstrickland

Reaction score
Feel free to point me in the right direction here - but this is for those that switched from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3 Raptor…. Are you happy with the switch? I‘m not necessarily interested on “The deal was to good” and I don’t mean that from a negative standpoint. I just want to know if the Gen 3 is worth the extra money right now from a truck standpoint.

I’m in the market for a Raptor and I’m torn between a 2020 and a 2021. This truck will not necessarily be a daily driver, but it’s not going to sit in the garage either. I know the 2020 was a refined model with a lot of the new kinks worked out and the shocks are fairly similar to the 2021 (I know they’re not the same but they’re close.)

I also know a lot of individuals with a 2021 f-150 and have had a lot of trouble with the tech side of the truck (the auto update for didn’t work for a friends one night and basically sent his truck into limp mode) which I don’t like the thought of that happening if I spent 80k+ on a truck.

I’d love to know if the switch from Gen 2 to Gen 3 was that much of a difference in your eyes, and what makes you think so. Or if you wish you would have kept the Gen 2 because the Gen 3 isn’t THAT much more impressive for the extra money/ADM.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
5 link rear, big screen and exhaust … pretty big upgrades. But for me the 2019 i have feels timeless. Idk why… theres something about the cockpit. It throws aviation vibes. I’ve said it before , I’ll perhaps get a gen 3 someday. But I'm definitely not in a rush.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Think it depends on what is important to you. Only thing I like about the Gen 3 is the 5 link. I can add that to my Gen 2, mid travel, cage, big turbos, etc and still spend less than than a Gen 3.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish some people could borrow a Gen 3 for like 2 weeks then go back to driving their Gen 2. It really is significantly better but maybe not that much initially (kind of like seeing all the new iPhones every year thinking they aren’t changing much but if you pick one up from 2016 vs a more recent one it feels archaic).

That said I don’t think the Gen 3 is a $100k truck (with the V6).

Stevdug

Reaction score
My gen 2 was like a properly broke in pair of tennis shoes. For some reason my Gen 3 feels bulky, and less sporty. I can't lay a finger on it as I like the dash layout in the gen3 better but don't feel as in control or at home as I did in the Gen 2

OP
OP
C

cstrickland

Reaction score
I wish some people could borrow a Gen 3 for like 2 weeks then go back to driving their Gen 2. It really is significantly better but maybe not that much initially (kind of like seeing all the new iPhones every year thinking they aren’t changing much but if you pick one up from 2016 vs a more recent one it feels archaic).

That said I don’t think the Gen 3 is a $100k truck (with the V6).
This is pretty much what lead me to ask this. I don’t think I can really gauge a different driving up and down one road on a test drive. I currently drive an 04 f-150 with 180k miles - so in reality you can slap me in anything and it’s going to have a better ride then what I’ve got right now.

OP
OP
C

cstrickland

Reaction score
My gen 2 was like a properly broke in pair of tennis shoes. For some reason my Gen 3 feels bulky, and less sporty. I can't lay a finger on it as I like the dash layout in the gen3 better but don't feel as in control or at home as I did in the Gen 2
The redesined dash it what really pulls me into the Gen 3’s. My father in law has a 22 super duty with the new touchscreen and it’s amazing. If there was a way to retrofit that stile into a 2019 I’d more than likely be all for it.