Ham Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run a 55w 2/70 in the Jeep and a 5w Tri-band Icom in the Raptor & RV using the same mount as you. Got it from HRO in Sunnyvale.
That's the place Andy! Very cool store full of lots of helpful guys and gals. I couldn't believe how busy it was in there.

Good to know you're knowledgable on all this. Hope you don't mind if I hit you up with a question or three :)

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FRS radios are definitely worse than CB's. A lot worse.

One thing about a CB and 4WD is that CB's are usually the "standard" for many clubs... in fact, some off road groups require you to have a CB to go on runs with them.

CB's are still useful and fairly common in the off-roading community. I had decent range with my CB in my FJ Cruiser... at least 3 to 4 times the range of the handheld FRS radios... but HAM sounds like the best way to go as far as range!!

One question: How do these HAM radios work at short range? I understand they are great if you are several miles apart but what if you have several vehicles traveling bumper to bumper at low speeds? Will HAM work OK under close conditions?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I asked that very question and the consensus was that 2m works just fine from even just a few feet away.

Andy would you agree?

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way out in the boonies the only thing CBs are good for is talking to one of your buddies with one on the trail. It doesn't offer much, if anything, in the way of security and comfort should something go wrong (from getting lost to getting in deep ****). CBs are better than FRS radios but Ham tops them both.

Thanks for the link Andy.

And the one thing common to all of them is......someone has to be on the other end listening. There's a yellow pelican case that travels with me in the boonies - it contains a Sat phone.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But there's not much/no concern regarding if anyone is listening to ham. That and the distance it can cover makes it the best solution we have now (except, in theory, for sat phones but I hear they have issues too).

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an ICOM 2820H Dual Band in the Jeep. It has a detachable/remote faceplate/controls. The head unit is mounted on the dash roll bar cross member, just above the instrument cluster. The main unit is mounted in rear.

2820H_5.jpg

The triband in the Raptor is an HT with a lead to an external mag-mount 2/70 antenna.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this before.
But, I'll post it again.
:birgits_tiredcoffeeAll these 2-way radio threads should be consolidated.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 320