Had the chance to drive a gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low-end means low RPM, grunt refers to torque. You are thinking peak output and yeah that is a wash between the two. But at 1,250 RPM is it not.

It is almost impossible to get either engine to pull WOT at 1250 rpm. The torque convertor unlocks and revs go to 2000+ immediately. Torque at 1250 is completely irrelevant.

I am a V8 guy but there is simply no denying the power of the ecoboost engine. It makes more power and torque than the 6.2 at any usable rpm.

Such a dumb argument...

I agree after 8 pages that the V6 sounds like ass and the 10 speed shifts too much, otherwise the new ones are better trucks. Who would have guessed?

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Such a dumb argument...
Agreed, why all the hate between the generations here? I really don't get it, I'd be happy to own either.

I always enjoyed the rivalry between Ford vs Chevy, while arguments could get a little heated at times 'twas usually good-natured fun among "car guys" who in the end were all on the same side anyway.

I say save the hate for the Tundras & Rams since nobody cares about Generic Motors anymore :)

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, why all the hate between the generations here? I really don't get it, I'd be happy to own either.

Why?

I think it's because the early Gen 2 owners (and some still even today) paid ADMs on an already overpriced truck, so they had a very large chip on their shoulder and were super eager to defend their purchase decision. Any criticism of the Gen2 was treated as "heresy by those who can not afford"- and to a large extent, it still is to this day. There were plenty of posts from Gen2 owners saying basically- you only criticize it because you cannot afford one.

In addition to regularly spouting off about how they were financially above Gen1 owners, most of the early Gen2 owners were not off-road guys, or truck guys at all. They were former Range Rover sport owners, BWM owners, GTR owners, Porsche owners who just bought their new Ford Raptor "car" because they wanted to own the coolest truck in their town first. Yes, they called them their new "car" when they posted here. They put a lot of stupid money into their trucks. One guy replaced ALL of the stitching in the truck's interior with a different color thread just to look cool. Yea, I know. ******* insane, right? So a lot of the early Gen2 crowd on this site were those types of people- and well, the rest of us just aren't. We didn't hate on the Gen 2 truck all that much since we'd never actually driven one, it was the owners of the Gen2 trucks and their stupid modifications and "look at me" posts that drew the most hate.

Most of the true ********** have moved on to the next cool thing (well unfortunately Jake is still here). I mean a '17 Raptor new longer a new thing if you try to impress people by spending stupid money on cars. So the Gen1 guys aren't really much into Gen2 bashing anymore since most of the biggest Gen2 ego driven owners have left the scene. The current Gen2 owners know what we we think about the Gen2 trucks- so there's not much point in us saying it again and again. However, as Gen 1 guys do get to actually drive the Gen2 trucks and come away unimpressed by all the new techo wizardry that was supposedly so awesome and SO much better- any posts talking about such makes the Gen2 guys jump back into the "heresy by those who cannot afford" mode. They cannot accept an opinion that doesn't match their conclusion. Then all the back and forth shit for 8 pages stuff happens.

In all honesty- I actually did not enjoy driving the Gen 2 truck at all. It shifted too much, sounded bad, had poor legroom, the door panel was too low for my arm. I just couldn't get comfortable in it at all. I fit in my Gen 1 truck so much better, both arms and legs, and it's a much more pleasant vehicle to drive in my opinion. The transmission shifts how I expect it to, and the engine sounds great. The Gen2 was faster, no doubt at all, but I don't go racing around the local streets in a 6000 lb truck, so the additional acceleration was not needed. Personally, I don't like the looks of the Gen2 trucks either, but that's just subjective.

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In agreement with @EricM, he encapsulated the happenings of this site and attitudes on both sides of the aisle pretty well.

@smurfslayer dropping the nuclear meme option, if only @Aaron were still around for the wrap-up and /thread

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Why?

I think it's because the early Gen 2 owners (and some still even today) paid ADMs on an already overpriced truck, so they had a very large chip on their shoulder and were super eager to defend their purchase decision. Any criticism of the Gen2 was treated as "heresy by those who can not afford"- and to a large extent, it still is to this day. There were plenty of posts from Gen2 owners saying basically- you only criticize it because you cannot afford one.

In addition to regularly spouting off about how they were financially above Gen1 owners, most of the early Gen2 owners were not off-road guys, or truck guys at all. They were former Range Rover sport owners, BWM owners, GTR owners, Porsche owners who just bought their new Ford Raptor "car" because they wanted to own the coolest truck in their town first. Yes, they called them their new "car" when they posted here. They put a lot of stupid money into their trucks. One guy replaced ALL of the stitching in the truck's interior with a different color thread just to look cool. Yea, I know. ******* insane, right? So a lot of the early Gen2 crowd on this site were those types of people- and well, the rest of us just aren't. We didn't hate on the Gen 2 truck all that much since we'd never actually driven one, it was the owners of the Gen2 trucks and their stupid modifications and "look at me" posts that drew the most hate.

Most of the true ********** have moved on to the next cool thing (well unfortunately Jake is still here). I mean a '17 Raptor new longer a new thing if you try to impress people by spending stupid money on cars. So the Gen1 guys aren't really much into Gen2 bashing anymore since most of the biggest Gen2 ego driven owners have left the scene. The current Gen2 owners know what we we think about the Gen2 trucks- so there's not much point in us saying it again and again. However, as Gen 1 guys do get to actually drive the Gen2 trucks and come away unimpressed by all the new techo wizardry that was supposedly so awesome and SO much better- any posts talking about such makes the Gen2 guys jump back into the "heresy by those who cannot afford" mode. They cannot accept an opinion that doesn't match their conclusion. Then all the back and forth shit for 8 pages stuff happens.

In all honesty- I actually did not enjoy driving the Gen 2 truck at all. It shifted too much, sounded bad, had poor legroom, the door panel was too low for my arm. I just couldn't get comfortable in it at all. I fit in my Gen 1 truck so much better, both arms and legs, and it's a much more pleasant vehicle to drive in my opinion. The transmission shifts how I expect it to, and the engine sounds great. The Gen2 was faster, no doubt at all, but I don't go racing around the local streets in a 6000 lb truck, so the additional acceleration was not needed. Personally, I don't like the looks of the Gen2 trucks either, but that's just subjective.

That’s a quaint alternate reality, but has more #fakenews than a Truckzor post.

you are right that there are some g2 pr!cks saying you don’t like it because you can’t afford it. That’s readily findable. Someone apparently appropriated the term ‘poverty raptor’ which I was kind of using to describe Lucille, who sports graphics but no ADM but cost more than a 3rd world wife in an arranged marriage.

I could go on about how I didn’t like the Jennifer (gen1) and it being the only truck to break down at Raptor Assault, but while it was running it proved itself a competent off road truck and when doing what the trucks were designed to do, they’re very close in performance. I could go into how I didn’t like this, or that about Jennifer, but to what end? It’s a fine truck.

Or I could channel my confirmation bias and lament how Jennifer has less leg room, doesn’t shift often enough, makes too much noise and doesn’t move fast enough. None of that is reality, but it could legitimately be my perception. Right or wrong.
To be clear, I’m not saying you are wrong @EricM, your opinion is the only one that counts as it applies to how you spend your money on your vehicles. My point here is this discussion isn’t changing any hearts or minds.

can we get back to Memes now?

memes-are-back-5b9bea.jpg

jenny-tastes-great.jpg

smurfslayer

Reaction score
In agreement with @EricM, he encapsulated the happenings of this site and attitudes on both sides of the aisle pretty well.

@smurfslayer dropping the nuclear meme option, if only @Aaron were still around for the wrap-up and /thread

@Aaron is off in a far away galaxy but showed me the way of the sbux drive thru before commencing his quest to bring order to the galaxy.

feel-the-power-5b9bee.jpg

Unfortunately, I am but an apprentice at thread wrap up.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
what happened to aaron??
@Aaron has ascended to a higher plane of Memery. He now wanders the earth in search of those in need of assistance with mastering the starbucks drive thru. There is no starbucks parking lot too primitive, no Raptor owner beyond salvation and no drive thru island too high for Aaron to help in the ultimate goal of the perfect Mocha.