Had the chance to drive a gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure where you got that chart, but it doesn't make sense. My 17 and all previous Ecoboost's I've owned will break the tires loose much quicker and easier than my 6.2. Again speaking stock.

I understand, weight, tire size, gear ratios, etc. all have an impact; however my other 3 Ecoboost's (3.5L, SCREW, LB, 3.73 4x4) were more responsive than my 14 6.2L. Maybe I have a poor 6.2? I don't think so based on driving others, both another Raptor and F250's.

I did run a tune for a bit on my 12' F150 3.5L, it was crazy how touchy the throttle was, wife hated driving it cause she would keep spinning tires. Backed off to a lesser tune, it was too aggressive for winter driving. Due to odd issues that wouldn't happen stock and tuner always wanted more $ to correct, finally removed the tune. I've read here that others have tuned their 6.2, been considering.

The chart makes perfect sense. The 6.2 has 2 more cylinders and 77% more displacement. Until the boost comes on, the 3.5 is not making any power.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the chart coincides perfectly. Keep in mind, by 2000 rpm the eb is on boost and the torque curve is climbing rapidly above the 6.2. Floor the truck and the toque convertor immediately allows the rpm to hit 2000 rpm and climb. You have more torque on launch in the eb than the 6.2, that is why it feels quicker, and is quicker. Still, even with a mid 13 second QM, it isn't really "fast" by todays standards. The market is rife with 11-12 second cars for less than a new raptor.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correct. And, as a reminder, the torque converter locks up once over ~ 20 mph. So once you're rolling the EB needs to stay above 2000 RPM, which the 10 speed really helps with, as was pointed out earlier in the thread.

Side note: I have a 5 disc (1200+ horsepower capable) lock up in my torque converter. You can definitely feel that sucker engage.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 3.5 high performance v6 tows better than the outgoing 6.2 that was originally designed for the super dutys... lol please... the v6 has to hold 4000 + Rpms to tow anything at all that's a lot of stress on the motor leading to premature mechanical failure

dumbest thing ive read all week. the 6.2 was barely ok at towing , the EB blows it away in every way.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Except low RPM torque, throttle response, boost lag, durability, longevity, etc.

please do continue to post - hey, this is in the gen1 forum so It’s kind of fun watching everyone get their knickers in a twist over here.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I gotta agree- towing is where the 3.5L shines, because it's under load and gets into boost NOW.