Had the chance to drive a gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10 speed is also a way to keep the rpm's up so you don't lug the engine. low rpm and high boost which is a ton of stress on rods and pistons.
Long term negative effects.
1. Prematurely worn rod bearings and crankshaft.
2. Poor oil pressure as a result of excessive rod bearing clearances.
3. It is possible you could spin a rod bearing when it contacts the journal.
4. If done excessively you can weaken and break a crankshaft, rod or a piston.
5. It also places undo stress on the head gaskets.

Just to play some devils advocate... engines can be, and are, built for the additional stresses of boost and rpm. The 3.5 eb was a clean sheet, always destined to be turbo'ed engine wasn't it? Just like if you wanted to reliably run 15 psi through a 6.2, you would be wise to build for it or it wont last. I don't see the eb engines blowing up regularly in the trucks these days which would lead me to believe Ford built it for the stresses you mention. The fact that the 3.5 eb makes another 200 hp over the Raptors 450 in the Ford GT tells me that reliability probably isn't a huge issue even when used in a pick-up.

I wouldn't consider the eb a bad engine, it just sounds like ass. It doesn't interest me for the same kind of reasons that electric cars don't interest me, lack of soul, not lack of power.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It may be designed for all of that boost, but the problem with the TTV6 solution is the added complexity. There is just a lot of shit to fail on a twin turbo engine. Turbos, intercooler, hot side piping/clamps, turbo oil seals, oil lines, water lines. None of that shit even exists in the engine bay on a Gen 1.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It may be designed for all of that boost, but the problem with the TTV6 solution is the added complexity. There is just a lot of shit to fail on a twin turbo engine. Turbos, intercooler, hot side piping/clamps, turbo oil seals, oil lines, water lines. None of that shit even exists in the engine bay on a Gen 1.

I didn't realize the 6.2 doesn't use oil for lubrication or water cooling. Learn something new every day.

And I totally get your point about the intercooler, piping, and clamps. 14 psi is an insane amount of pressure to contain. Even New England footballs cannot hold that much pressure.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the 6.2L have a hose external to the engine with pressurized oil in it?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the 6.2L have a hose external to the engine with pressurized oil in it?

It sounds like the G1 is old school cool. In addition to being air cooled, does it also use mechanical linkages for the brakes and steering. God knows you cannot trust any kind of tubing that contains fluid under pressure.

fl_meet_the_flintstones-56a00c2d3df78cafda9fcdac.jpg

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every year vehicles get more high tech. More and more is added to protect us from ourselves. Newer usually means advancements in efficiency with more HP & torque per vehicle pound. That's fine. I just like the sound of a V8 over a 6. As a result, I have a 2014 and will likely keep it awhile. My younger brethren can accuse me of going to the 'dark side'. I don't mind.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope, not by the chart and not by personal experience.

That chart is bogus, bro. The real one is attached.

Not quite. Superior throttle response, hardly, only in situations when I am trying to 'feather' the throttle.
Correct, no boost lag on 6.2, just lag to get to the power band. Even at that the boost lag of the 3.5 isn't bad at all.

See above.

Attachments

• 6.2 vs. 3.5 dyno.jpg
    6.2 vs. 3.5 dyno.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 54

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like the G1 is old school cool. In addition to being air cooled, does it also use mechanical linkages for the brakes and steering. God knows you cannot trust any kind of tubing that contains fluid under pressure.

**** no, I don't trust any tubing holding pressurized fluids. They will all eventually fail.

I've seen turbo vehicles go up in flames just because one little turbo oil feed line failed and sprayed a nice atomized mist of oil all over the hot turbo and exhaust. You have two of those lines on your truck.

I've seen failed brake lines that caused wrecks, many of these actually.

I've seen copper lines in houses that failed and flooded the whole house. Same thing with the braided SS rubber hoses, and CPVC lines.

I've seen 36" ductile iron water mains with 2" thick walls split right down the whole length of the pipe.

I had a choice when I bought a Raptor, and I bought the Raptor with the more reliable engine.

Last edited:

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That chart is bogus, bro. The real one is attached.

Not sure where you got that chart, but it doesn't make sense. My 17 and all previous Ecoboost's I've owned will break the tires loose much quicker and easier than my 6.2. Again speaking stock.

I understand, weight, tire size, gear ratios, etc. all have an impact; however my other 3 Ecoboost's (3.5L, SCREW, LB, 3.73 4x4) were more responsive than my 14 6.2L. Maybe I have a poor 6.2? I don't think so based on driving others, both another Raptor and F250's.

I did run a tune for a bit on my 12' F150 3.5L, it was crazy how touchy the throttle was, wife hated driving it cause she would keep spinning tires. Backed off to a lesser tune, it was too aggressive for winter driving. Due to odd issues that wouldn't happen stock and tuner always wanted more $ to correct, finally removed the tune. I've read here that others have tuned their 6.2, been considering.