Had the chance to drive a gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still not as retarded as comparing a v6 gasser to a diesel

Also why the **** would you be passing on a normal basis while towing a heavy load..... right on bro

Way to blow ur shit up even quicker than it was already destined to lol

No just your letting your ignorance really show that much more. Turbo's became popular in diesels long before in gasser trucks. Again diesels are loved for that low end torque, we now have it in the 3.5L.

I generally drive 5 over. Seems many RV/travel trailer people tend to drive dead on or even 5 under.

Blow my stuff up quicker, maybe and maybe not. 3.5 L is running 1/2 the RPM, so technically the engine isn't being as stressed as much; however the 6.2 has been a long standing solid engine.

Reminder: the 6.2 has a lot more torque at low RPM than the 3.5.
Nope, not by the chart and not by personal experience.

Also, the 6.2 has superior throttle response and no boost lag.
Not quite. Superior throttle response, hardly, only in situations when I am trying to 'feather' the throttle.
Correct, no boost lag on 6.2, just lag to get to the power band. Even at that the boost lag of the 3.5 isn't bad at all.

Most importantly, the 6.2 has a LOT higher ceiling once the mods start.
Agreed from everything I know.

Guys I am talking stock. Engine and tune mods can change this to either side.

My 6.2 exterior wise is setup way more badass than my 3.5, rack, lights, different set of wheels and tires for winter so I can get chains on all 4, , front receiver, interior did some sound lining.

Hell I know some are just poking, but people spreading ignorance...oh well to each their own, but hey what do I know, I only own both and drive both on a regular basis, oh and tow with them. Had my share of experience with the 3.5L Ecoboost.
12 F150 Lariat SCREW LB 3.5L, traded in for 17 Raptor
13 F150 Platinum SCREW LB 3.5L, traded for 16 F150 Platinum SCREW LB 3.5L (wife's)
12 Lincoln MKT 3.5L traded for 14 MKT 3.5L (wife's)

After getting my 14 Raptor (Dec 2013) I told others and my wife and others I think the perfect combination would be the 3.5L Eco in the Raptor, so when they came out with it I put my $ on one and bought it without even test driving. Rode horrible first hundred miles or so, but airing down helped a ton. At the Ford Performance school they air theirs down to 28. 17 Raptor stills feels a bit light in the back end and when towing it squats more than my 14. So far those are my only real complaints of the 17. I'd invite you naysayer's over to test drive yourself, but likely further waste of time and breath.

There both great trucks, either way we're driving the baddest trucks ever mass produced!

Last edited:

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would've been awesome if this were posted over in the Gen 2 section, could have had some real fireworks then.

Both trucks are fantastic and nicer than the majority of what most folks drive.

Of course it's fun to bag on the V6's exhaust note, but it should be expected that the second generation of any model should improve over the preceding model.

I don't get the animosity.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3.5 L is running 1/2 the RPM, so technically the engine isn't being as stressed as much; however the 6.2 has been a long standing solid engine.

It's not a simple matter of RPMs. Cylinder pressures are king when it comes to engine wear and longevity- the 3.5L cylinder pressures are way higher than the 6.2L. It's not even close. The 6.2L was designed solely to be used as a truck engine. The 3.5L TT was not.

Those are the facts.

My opinion is the 3.5L will be a steaming hunk of blown up crap when the 6.2L is still rolling along. What could possibly be more reliable in a truck than an engine designed solely for that purpose? Certainly no engine Ford has ever built before or after the 6.2L is a more reliable mill. It's a modern n/a fuel injected OHC big block with variable cam timing. It'll run until you die and make plenty of power the whole time. Arguing that the TT 3.5L will last longer is just a totally absurd way of thinking.

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would've been awesome if this were posted over in the Gen 2 section, could have had some real fireworks then.

Both trucks are fantastic and nicer than the majority of what most folks drive.

Of course it's fun to bag on the V6's exhaust note, but it should be expected that the second generation of any model should improve over the preceding model.

I don't get the animosity.

Agreed entirely. It’s actually pretty sad to watch as well from both sides. It’s like arguing a point with most liberals anymore. You let them get their word in and when you try to make a valid point they get butt hurt and lash out. That = FRF anymore.

I had a Gen1, and I have a Gen2. Biggest gripe about the Gen1? Stock exhaust sounded like ass. Threw stainless works on it and it was great.

Biggest gripe with the Gen2? Stock exhaust. Only difference is it’ll take more work to get it where I like it. I had a 95 Thunderbird Supercoupe with a Modified Kenne Bell on it. It was a 3.8L 6cyl that was stroked to 4.2L. Took tons of effort getting the exhaust to sound good but in the end it was much more satisfying than throwing on a bolt on kit.

Now, for those that argue about problems the Gen 2 has vs the Gen 1. They BOTH have problems. Before you say Gen1 didn’t have major problems...bent frame. Or better yet, how about the fuel pump fuse that stranded me 250 miles from home? It wasn’t just the fuse. It destroyed the entire fuse box.

They both have problems. They are both nice trucks. End of story.

-Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a simple matter of RPMs. Cylinder pressures are king when it comes to engine wear and longevity- the 3.5L cylinder pressures are way higher than the 6.2L. It's not even close. The 6.2L was designed solely to be used as a truck engine. The 3.5L TT was not.

I can concur to that, overlooked that point with engine pressures, thanks; but pretty damn interesting shortly after designing it for a car, mind you a performance car, they realized they could put it in a truck.

The rest as you stated is your opinion, but also my concern with the turbos and excessive dust, especially where I go off-road, another major reason I've kept my 6.2. Add to that the first model year of the 3.5L HO; however the first model year of the 6.2 was in the late 2010 Raptor....hopefully history repeats with another solid Raptor engine.

Knock on wood, I've had very little problems with all my vehicles and put a fair number of miles on my 12 3.5L towing and towing hard. Used to drive 22 hrs every 2 to 3 weeks for a year, most of the time towing. Time will tell.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's like it isn't OK to not like the new ones or something? Just personal preferences in most cases. I could go out and get a new one but I am holding out for a Shelby or Roush supercharged '13 or '14.

The ten speed auto is just way to busy, a way to boost economy at the expense of being vastly more complex. Maybe you can get the V6 to sound OK but I am a V8 guy, just like the sound better, the sound I grew up on. I don't think ANY of that makes me wrong about which is right for me.

I prefer the super cab to the four door but wish the first gen rear door would open as wide as the second gens. The look of the 2nd gen is definitely more modern too. I definitely intend to avoid things like lane change assist and forward collision warning systems like the freaking plague. My wifes awesome new Golf R has that crap and it ruins the car. The much more intrusive stability systems also scare me, dangerous shit when you gas it and it wont go, had LOTS of that on the '15 Pwagon. I know I probably cant avoid that stuff forever as it is called "progress" but I am going to damn sure try for a while!

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10 speed is also a way to keep the rpm's up so you don't lug the engine. low rpm and high boost which is a ton of stress on rods and pistons.
Long term negative effects.
1. Prematurely worn rod bearings and crankshaft.
2. Poor oil pressure as a result of excessive rod bearing clearances.
3. It is possible you could spin a rod bearing when it contacts the journal.
4. If done excessively you can weaken and break a crankshaft, rod or a piston.
5. It also places undo stress on the head gaskets.