Had the chance to drive a gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.5 high performance v6 tows better than the outgoing 6.2 that was originally designed for the super dutys... lol please... the v6 has to hold 4000 + Rpms to tow anything at all that's a lot of stress on the motor leading to premature mechanical failure

Clearly that's an ignorant statement from someone that hasn't towed with both, nor understood power charts.

No question the 3.5 L tows a ton better than the 6.2 L. No question. The 3.5 L behaves like a diesel with the turbos, not only that your statement shows further ignorance as you talk about the RPM's.
RPM is almost always higher on the 6.2 L because of the torque curve, again max power and torque on the 6.2 is around 5K, so yes to tow with more power the 6.2 should be up in the 4K range, not the 3.5L.
The other thing is towing with the 6.2 it is prone to downshift sooner and is typically in a lower gear. Climbing hills and such you get to hear the engine scream on the 6.2. I've got a travel trailer at around 8K pounds, I was passing diesels uphill with the 3.5L (Platinum). Hands down towing the 3.5 L wins. Max torque on the 3.5 is around 2,250 RPM, half that of the 6.2 L so the engine is much quieter.

This was the best chart I could find, but the EcoBoost in green they are referring to is a 3.5L Eco, not even the 3.5L HO.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fo..._fb3d34810241607684c85925e2ac4782c76a64d0.jpg
80-image_fb3d34810241607684c85925e2ac4782c76a64d0.jpg

Next Conventional towing capacity
- F150 SCREW LB 3.73 with max tow package - 11,600 lbs
- F250 6.2L similar configuration - 12,300 lbs
Oh and clear back in 2011 - F150 Eco matches Super Duty V8 towing

Since a Raptor forum, Raptor Conventional max tow:
Raptor SCREW 8,000 lbs
Raptor SCAB 6,000 lbs

Last of rant - same trailer, same load, same hill, same speed.
2014 6.2L Raptor downshifts to 4th to make it up and over, strong headwind maybe 3rd.
2013 3.5L F150 Lariat 3.73 4x4 SCREW only downshifts from 6th with a strong headwind and then at that it holds 5th.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Clearly that's an ignorant statement from someone that hasn't towed with both, nor understood power charts.

No question the 3.5 L tows a ton better than the 6.2 L. No question. The 3.5 L behaves like a diesel with the turbos, not only that your statement shows further ignorance as you talk about the RPM's.
RPM is almost always higher on the 6.2 L because of the torque curve, again max power and torque on the 6.2 is around 5K, so yes to tow with more power the 6.2 should be up in the 4K range, not the 3.5L.
The other thing is towing with the 6.2 it is prone to downshift sooner and is typically in a lower gear. Climbing hills and such you get to hear the engine scream on the 6.2. I've got a travel trailer at around 8K pounds, I was passing diesels uphill with the 3.5L (Platinum). Hands down towing the 3.5 L wins. Max torque on the 3.5 is around 2,250 RPM, half that of the 6.2 L so the engine is much quieter.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fo..._fb3d34810241607684c85925e2ac4782c76a64d0.jpg
80-image_fb3d34810241607684c85925e2ac4782c76a64d0.jpg

Next Conventional towing capacity
- F150 SCREW LB 3.73 with max tow package - 11,600 lbs
- F250 6.2L similar configuration - 12,300 lbs
Oh and clear back in 2011 - F150 Eco matches Super Duty V8 towing

Since a Raptor forum, Raptor Conventional max tow:
Raptor SCREW 8,000 lbs
Raptor SCAB 6,000 lbs

Last of rant - same trailer, same load, same hill, same speed.
2014 6.2L Raptor downshifts to 4th to make it up and over, strong headwind maybe 3rd.
2013 3.5L F150 Lariat 3.73 4x4 SCREW only downshifts from 6th with a strong headwind and then at that it holds 5th.

Meh. Do you floor it leaving every light when you tow? If not, those max power and torque curves mean jack ******* shit.

However on long uphills with heavy loads though, ie a shit ton of engine load then yea, the 3.5L does out power the 6.2L.

Last edited:

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh. Do you floor it leaving every light when you tow? If not, those max power and torque curves mean jack ******* shit.

However on long uphills with heavy loads though, ie a shit ton of engine load then yea, the 3.5L does out power the 6.2L.

So you haven't towed much either, nor driven both.

Who floors it regularly when they tow?
Torque curves mean JS? Only that your engine revolutions per minute and where your max power is.
Ever rode a 2 stroke motorcycle and felt the power band?

It's not about just taking off, it's also about maintaining and staying in/near the power band.

Simply put, driving my 6.2 L and going to pass someone, I will look a lot longer and closer before I just pull out. When driving the 3.5L HO, I'll take a quick glance and just pull out. Yes the power is like that, the 3.5L HO just freaking goes. The power is right there, not having to wait for it to downshift and then get the RPM up around 5K to get max power. Literally it's less than half the time (RPM) in the 3.5 L for max power compared to the 6.2L.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you haven't towed much either, nor driven both.

Who floors it regularly when they tow?
Torque curves mean JS? Only that your engine revolutions per minute and where your max power is.
Ever rode a 2 stroke motorcycle and felt the power band?

It's not about just taking off, it's also about maintaining and staying in/near the power band.

Simply put, driving my 6.2 L and going to pass someone, I will look a lot longer and closer before I just pull out. When driving the 3.5L HO, I'll take a quick glance and just pull out. Yes the power is like that, the 3.5L HO just freaking goes. The power is right there, not having to wait for it to downshift and then get the RPM up around 5K to get max power. Literally it's less than half the time (RPM) in the 3.5 L for max power compared to the 6.2L.

Save your breath man, these guys can hear it, see the graphs, be presented with hard facts and numbers, and still say, "b b b b but muh VEE EIGHT!!!! ITS GOT dat TORK"

******* retards

OP
OP
FordraptorHero

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
still not as retarded as comparing a v6 gasser to a diesel

Also why the **** would you be passing on a normal basis while towing a heavy load..... right on bro

Way to blow ur shit up even quicker than it was already destined to lol

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Reminder: the 6.2 has a lot more torque at low RPM than the 3.5. Also, the 6.2 has superior throttle response and no boost lag.

Most importantly, the 6.2 has a LOT higher ceiling once the mods start.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why the fixation on which one is faster or more powerful? Obviously the lighter more powerful gen2 is going to be faster. Less weight, more gears to keep it in the meat of the powerband and more power, of course the gen2 is faster.

For me though the experience is less satisfying. The gen2 sounds like crap, and the transmission shifts too much. It will never really be fast, that is what cars are for. Deciding which one is better depends on your criteria. I also abhor the new generation of electronic nannies which the gen1 is completely devoid of. I had a new Ram Power Wagon for a year, hated that POS mostly for the electronic intervention common to all new vehicles. Gen1 is simply a more satisfying truck for many of us.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Another Jennifer owner posting WOT torque charts. Wow, that is so applicable to everyday driving, it's just crazy. :crazy: I know that I for one, ALWAYS drive with the gas pedal completely flat on the floor. It's either WOT or full brakes at all times. I mean, who doesn't drive their Raptor just totally wide ******* open at all times?

Maybe that's why those pedal booster things are so popular for the Gen 2 guys.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Why the fixation on which one is faster or more powerful? Obviously the lighter more powerful gen2 is going to be faster. Less weight, more gears to keep it in the meat of the powerband and more power, of course the gen2 is faster.

For me though the experience is less satisfying. The gen2 sounds like crap, and the transmission shifts too much. It will never really be fast, that is what cars are for. Deciding which one is better depends on your criteria. I also abhor the new generation of electronic nannies which the gen1 is completely devoid of. I had a new Ram Power Wagon for a year, hated that POS mostly for the electronic intervention common to all new vehicles. Gen1 is simply a more satisfying truck for many of us.

Dude, you should stop by. We can drink some beers and yell at the kids to get the off the lawn.

Last edited: