Had my '20 wheels powdercoated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Powder coated wheels will still chip, although less so than paint.
Some fancy colors are multi-layered (candy apple).
But those were probably a single coat.
A clear top coat can be added for additional protection.
It varies a lot by location, but a prep and a single coat is ~$60 a wheel.

Thanks and affordable.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good. Not a fan of the shiny machined finish on these wheels. Do you have brake covers or is this part of the wheel now on the inside?

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What did that run you? Do they do multiple coats? Are they susceptible to chipping?

It was $75 a wheel with Prismatic powder if you took the bare wheels. Single coat. If you take in wheel & tire it's $20 more each wheel for mount & balance. I thought that was pretty reasonable. Powdercoating is much tougher than paint, but it can still be scratched or chipped. The painter said he thinks the company "Prismatic Powders" makes the best coatings. They makes several hundred colors. This is "Kingsport Grey" from them, the other one that is really close, but a little darker/blacker if you like that look more is "Speedway Grey".

Prismatic was a pretty cool company to deal with, I think it was for $6 you can pick out up to 6 color samples and they will overnight you 1" X 4" aluminum strips with the actual powdercoat color you want applied to it so you know exactly what you are getting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good. Not a fan of the shiny machined finish on these wheels. Do you have brake covers or is this part of the wheel now on the inside?
Me neither, never liked them on anything. I just wasn't sure what they would look like once they were done. No brake covers, it looks like the rotors reflect the color from the back side of the wheels.

When you said 20 wheels, I of course thought you had 20” wheels,, duh.

looks good.

Thanks, I'll be putting the 22's on next year when I'm more mature.

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Me neither, never liked them on anything. I just wasn't sure what they would look like once they were done. No brake covers, it looks like the rotors reflect the color from the back side of the wheels.

Thanks, I'll be putting the 22's on next year when I'm more mature.

I looked closely again. They changed the machined polished wheels for ‘19-‘20 and they have something between the spokes. Coating them is by far the way to go if you run these wheels. Again much nicer, especially on a dirt truck.

What lugnuts are you running? Part number?

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I looked closely again. They changed the machined polished wheels for ‘19-‘20 and they have something between the spokes. Coating them is by far the way to go if you run these wheels. Again much nicer, especially on a dirt truck.

What lugnuts are you running? Part number?

I had looked at a '20 at a dealer & didn't notice they had made that wheel change until after I had mine. Looks like a web reinforcement between the spokes. Those are McGuard lugs, #64074. They run about $19 for a set of four. The consensus in here from a big thread about black nuts (or was it a small thread about ********* nuts?) not too long ago seemed to be that the McGuards are top notch, but on the expensive side. So that's what I went with. I figured I'd rather spend a bit more and hopefully not have issues down the road. Gorilla is the other popular lug, but some people had issues with theirs.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/quality-black-lug-nuts.73075/#post-1427168

Last edited: