Had a ‘22 Raptor at MSRP. Now it’s no MSRP for you!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You feel like you need a shower when you walk out of a dealership. Every time. Out of our last ten vehicles, we bought two off the lot. I bought the rest over the phone. I go to the local dealer, do my test drive and make an offer. They try to manipulate me. I go home and call a couple dozen other dealers out of town and out of state to find the best deal. I call the local guy and give him a chance to match it. They almost never do, they just try more mind f*cking. The phone is like a raincoat that keeps the slime off you. I highly recommend it.

Your experience somewhat matches mine. Once Raptor shoppers get more savvy though, even the ethical stealerships are going to hear the siren song of additional Raptor profits. It happened in ’17, and it’s happening now. I don’t know the right answer here, but I do know that this market is worse than ’17 thanks to covid, and the stupidity following covid.

I look forward to when things change from this new normal, back to reality.

OP
OP
BaseRaptor

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gen 3 Raptor is fresh and hot off the presses. I predict it will be a different Raptor market 6-9 months from now.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot of F150 Raptor buyers don't care about ADMs because they are writing off the truck as a business expense. Can't do that with a Vette or a Porsche.

Spooky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a dealer that is quite proud to never charge ADM. They are a small dealership in the middle of nowhere, but they got three allocations and I happened to get number two. They had a couple of Broncos for sale as well with no ADM, so I'm hoping no ADM is indeed their thing.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
We are certainly not the only ones pointing to the dealer problem:

... In relevant part:

And telling him that they’ll help him get another reservation at another dealer instead of doing the right thing and selling him what he ordered at the right price just adds insult to injury. Removal of the negative reviews is exactly what happened though. The negative reviews that went up on Yelp during the debacle are gone. Google’s negative reviews are still up with dealer responses.

All of this is a prime example of both how and why the dealer model needs to die and how Ford screwed up the Bronco’s rollout with its reservation system. Ford should have done a better job of explaining to customers how reservations work. In a perfect world, Ford would’ve explained to dealers that the price that reservation holders see online after they spec’d their vehicles is the price they’ll pay at the dealer. But this world isn’t perfect. The company almost enables dealers to overcharge people that have waited over a year for their vehicle at the last minute with a useless price protection clause.

Update: It looks like Sherminator is getting his Bronco! Both Mike Levine, head of product communications at Ford, and Sherminator himself reached out to me to update me on the situation.

“I have come to an agreement with the dealership that they are reordering a 2022 MY Bronco for me, since they approached me in good faith after the incident. Ford is expediting the order for me and I will be receiving a signed purchase agreement at MSRP once the order is placed. I currently need to get in contact with my Sales guy (who I’m not sure is in today) to place the updated order.”

So be careful what you wish for, you might get it. My bet is, that if sherm had asked for only honest reviews from actual purchasers, or for forum members to call and explain why they won’t be purchasing from the stealership, he’d have been on solid legal grounds. Bombarding the stealership with promises to never buy there due to their unethical ’sales’ practices would have been perfectly fine. false reviews, and even the tacit acknowledgement you had anything to do with that made him financially vulnerable to at least a nuisance lawsuit by the stealership. Even if he eventually won, he’d have lost $ defending himself.

If you own a business, you know: “You may not be interested in cancel culture, but cancel culture is DEFINITELY interested in you"

It’s pretty obvious Ford corporate knew about the situation and then the ensuing bad publicity. The stealership absolutely did not reach out this former customer that they just F*cked, to offer them a re-order out of the kindness of their hearts, they did so under orders or threats from the ‘franchise’ owner.

That’s a pretty slimy example, and I could not be friends with someone working for that stealership.

AlexT

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me with them. When I ordered my truck back in June, I asked 3 times about the 37 allocation. The last time she said the owner only had 1 and took it for himself and I had to order a 35 truck. Turns out, they got 3 - 37 pkg allocations and put them all on eBay.
Yep, Jack did the same thing to me and my buddy ordering from her. Then we saw those raptors on ebay. Not getting a $ from me.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Toyota dealers are starting to play this game with the 2022 Tundra TRD Pros as well. I hope this isn't the new normal with performance trucks. Unfortunatley, I only see it getting worse. Ford has the Raptors priced properly, no need for ADM.
Lol- I’m sure that’ll work out well for them, gonna sell like hot cakes I bet