GUN VAULT TO REPLACE UNDER REAR STORAGE COMPARTMENT.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when you say 'not as wide on the floor', what dimensions are you speaking of? Front to back or side to side?
Ideally the portion of the vault attached to the floor will be no wider than 8 inches. That way it will give my Malinois plenty of room on the floor and the ability to jump in and out, via the door. From the floor up, at least 13” to accommodate an AR with scope. Then the length can span the entire width between both rear doors. However, at least 24” to fit my MCK.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the mount is bolted to a metal plate that lies within the seat itself. Essentially the plate lies under the trucks metal frame. As stated the mount itself is very secure as is the locking mechanism for the rifle.

The weak point for me is by far my choice of lock. I wanted something that didn’t need a key and I could unlock at night quickly if possible. I’m sure there are other options but it’s what I like (for now).

I have a 70lb golden retriever who chills with it in the back seat. And it fits well stowed or put up.

I can’t imagine someone yanking this out easy. You would be better off cutting the lock which I assume would be similar to a crowbar to the box mechanism. Feel free to ask any other questions!

I really like the concept, but my back seats are always flipped up so my dog has the floor. He is taught to deploy out of the rear window and to enter the truck via the rear window as well. I would be concerned if he missed the seat during entry, he may hurt himself, which is the reason he has the entire floor. Although I vacuum the floor on a regular basis, my other concern would be dog fur jamming the action of the rifle, which is the reason I need some type of covered case that bolts to the floor next to the flipped up seat. Other than that, the lock that you use is an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found a video with him deploying in and out of the rear window. It is at minute 5:17.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Honestly, based on the entry / exit method, I would not mount anything either on the seat back, or the truck floor. That dog is making an upward leap that’s probably 85-90% effort, not much margin for error. Rifle sticking out from the seat, if he ran into it on the way into the truck, big vet bills. Even covered, you’re taking away probably 5 - 6 inches of his landing pad for the length of the rifle.

A floor mount, even a partial floor mount would make for an uneven landing surface and that just looks like potential knee/cruciate & foot injuries.

On a stock Raptor there’s some available behind the seat storage, not much, but it’s there. You could fit a carbine behind the seat in some orientations, but you’ll need to make sure the seats can be raised with that stuff behind the seat.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, based on the entry / exit method, I would not mount anything either on the seat back, or the truck floor. That dog is making an upward leap that’s probably 85-90% effort, not much margin for error. Rifle sticking out from the seat, if he ran into it on the way into the truck, big vet bills. Even covered, you’re taking away probably 5 - 6 inches of his landing pad for the length of the rifle.

A floor mount, even a partial floor mount would make for an uneven landing surface and that just looks like potential knee/cruciate & foot injuries.

On a stock Raptor there’s some available behind the seat storage, not much, but it’s there. You could fit a carbine behind the seat in some orientations, but you’ll need to make sure the seats can be raised with that stuff behind the seat.
Dude, thanks for slapping some sense into me. My mind totally blocked out the fact he could land on the case. I will play with the rear seat back today. Honestly I don’t even know how to fold the back of the seat down, it must be a latch, or pull, I will figure it out. Again, many thanks!

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude, thanks for slapping some sense into me. My mind totally blocked out the fact he could land on the case. I will play with the rear seat back today. Honestly I don’t even know how to fold the back of the seat down, it must be a latch, or pull, I will figure it out. Again, many thanks!

There is a latch that is hard to get to, but several vendors make devices that make it an easy pull.

I doubt this will help you, but I don't fold the seats up for my dogs anymore. Instead I have two collapsible boxes that bring the floor up to seat height, so they pretty much have a flat service, but higher up. This also means they can easily see out the window from a standing height, with seat cover over the top.

One of dogs is young and can get up to the seat height without issue. The other is older, and I usually have to pick him up with or without the box in place.

Related, some users have complained that the holes in the running board are dangerous for their dogs. Claws can get caught in them. Some of put plugs in them for that reason.

ApacheAg

Reaction score
I feel like I have seen a under the seat rifle storage that slides horizontal out of the truck when the door is fully open. While it’s only a “underseat” design the sliding mechanism would allow you to build a wooden platform custom to the dead space. Then cut out some horse stall mat to make it all flush and level for the malagator to land and take off from. Because the slide opens out of the truck you can place whatever on top of the vault and platform without compromising accessibility. I’ll scour the internet to look for where I have seen this vault.