Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GT500 as an investment?

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Johnfaeglasgow, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Johnfaeglasgow

Johnfaeglasgow Full Access Member

I’m strongly considering a new GT500 as an investment, or at least a low depreciation flourish. I realize getting a hold of one without a stupid dealer markup will be a challenge. I have a good connection with a dealer, but I know that without allocation that doesn’t count for squat.
    Have any of y’all ever bought a high demand vehicle as an investment? Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. BIG TIME BALLER

BIG TIME BALLER Full Access Member

Just my opinion...

No, the 2020 GT500 will not appreciate in value.

1) It’s not the 60’s, or 70’s... these are relatively high volume production cars.

2) Similar examples are all around. Previous GT500s, GT350Rs, GT350s, Demons, Hellcats, ZL1s, ZR1s, etc.

3) These vehicles produced in the 2000s will last for a really long time. The environment and age will have significantly less impact than the collectible vehicles from 50 years ago... meaning the numbers available will remain high.

4) Will it hold value well? Yes... similar to the vehicles I listed above and even similar to the Raptor.

5) Can you make a quick buck if you get your hands on one for MSRP? Probably... for the first year or or two.

6) My advice, if you get one... drive it. Don’t let it sit in the garage in hopes of preserving its value.

7) Government will want to restrict internal combustion engines soon. You will probably have to pay an annual tax similar to the Gas Guzzler Tax you pay when purchasing.

8) Electric performance cars are the next big thing... I’m talking 5 years. And they will be in such another league, these high performance gas motors will be insignificant and probably taboo...

Rapt-up, Rednose and Dust Devil like this.
  3. Kahuna

Kahuna Boats n Hoes

No. Not an investment.

Geo_Tactical likes this.
  4. jzweedyk

jzweedyk FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Since my usual investment strategy is to buy high and sell low, it sounds good to me.

5. Johnfaeglasgow

Johnfaeglasgow Full Access Member

I’m kidding myself really. Just want an excuse for a cool fast toy I guess... My wife wants a corvette anyway, and she’s the boss. If I really had my way we would get a 911 but they’re another league of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kahuna likes this.
  6. SilverBolt

SilverBolt Hired Gun

Buy high, sell low, and make it up in volume. Look at the past GT500 as a clue. It is not an investment. Very cool car but you are better off buying stock in Enron.

7. ddpt

ddpt Full Access Member

Just touched base with the stealership that I purchased my truck from and they are now taking orders for 2020 GT500 as they only have 2 allocations. They are asking just a small ADM; $50,000 above factory MRSP.

8. Racemetal

Racemetal Member

Good god,... these cars will MSRP a bit north of $100k, no? So a new GT500 for $150-160K-ish? Wow,... just wow...

9. allinon72

allinon72 Full Access Member

Perhaps if you hermetically seal it and wait 50 years. Even then, there are far better investments.

10. zombiekiller

zombiekiller FRF Addict

I drove a 458 italia on thursday and literally said to a friend "i'll be dennis Leary in judge dredd... Ripping a GTO around the sewers when everyone else is reading books on their tablet on the way to work. there is no way an electric car can ever sound like that."

I say buy it because you want it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Roscoe968 and Johnfaeglasgow like this.