G's Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chavante

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sick ride.... no methods though? I hate the raptor wheels... yes mine too but seriously nice setup... white is ALMOST as cool as black...

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sick ride.... no methods though? I hate the raptor wheels... yes mine too but seriously nice setup... white is ALMOST as cool as black...

You have a good point. One guy got a flat and then his stock wheel cracked in half - down the center - like a split rim. The inside half wrapped itself around the axle and had to be cut off with a sawzall.

Keep in mind that I am running 37" tires with stock fenders. If I went to method or virtually any other setup the offset would move the tire outside and the up travel would impact the fender. The stock wheel also necessitated a smaller cup size on the upper control arm.

So this means: new wheels, fenders and possibly new arms and when all of this is said and done - no improvement in performance. F it, the stock wheels don't bother me, I have 4 spare wheels too that I picked up cheap. I will trade performance over looks, plus I don't give a care when they get all pitted up, which they have.

NorCalRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished 3 days, and 538 miles of off road fun in Death Valley, Ran it thru every type of terrain you can imagine and this mod held up great! So did the new UMP and the entire truck performed magnificently. Back at work and everyone's first response was "wasn't it crazy hot there?" - not in my AC cooled Raptor it wasn't.

Awesome thread! Would you mine sending me your Death Valley route? I am planning a trip in early December.
Thanks
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome thread! Would you mine sending me your Death Valley route? I am planning a trip in early December.
Thanks
Dan

Thanks Dan, RE is leading a group during Thanksgiving Weekend. The route belongs to Matt Richards - SVTBlue Please ask him, with his permission I will send or he can. A lot of work goes into pre-running and documenting and is not mine to give away, hope you understand.

LittlEvil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G your thread is 1) an awesome read and 2) costly. After non stop reading I now have a huge list of things I'm upgrading... and my bank account is going to be mad at me. Thank you for taking the time to write out so much info and test everything you bolt on/upgrade.

NorCalRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, RE is leading a group during Thanksgiving Weekend. The route belongs to Matt Richards - SVTBlue Please ask him, with his permission I will send or he can. A lot of work goes into pre-running and documenting and is not mine to give away, hope you understand.

Thanks for the reply. I have been out with Raptor Expeditions in Carson but cannot make the Death Valley run on those dates. I will reach out to Matt. Thanks and great build thread

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Improved Door Detent

On its way
c5RDE6MTFlZTRlN2IzYzhmNzk0MzI0YWE0NDhjM2FmZDdiMGI=.jpg

Current door detent position is either too close to get out or to far out where I may ding the car next to me. Northlight Labs figured out there was room on the OEM part to mill another detent position in the middle. Think Goldilocks - "Just Right".

I will report findings and document installation soon.

RangerRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gordon, you'll love the door detent mod. I installed them a few weeks ago and still forget they're there. Glad I have them though, definitely comes in handy in tight parking spots.

-Rob

Last edited:
OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Improved Door Detent

I received the kit from Northlight labs via 2 day Priority Mail as promised. Enjoyed reading the instructions, were crafted with a satirical sense of humor.

I apologize for the following crappy pictures, my phone's photo settings got jacked... Anyway here is what came in the package:
IMAG04471_zps5edad906.jpg

Here is the First Standard Stock detent
IMAG04491_zpsc05c53b9.jpg

Here is the second Std Stock Detent
IMAG04501_zps8d8b5da6.jpg

After installing the new one it has the two original positions PLUS this one in the middle:
IMAG04601_zps9cf1f270.jpg

Now I did this with a hurt paw, just a few weeks after surgery to repair a couple severed tendons in my right (primary) hand, so this was done mostly left handed and I was still able to complete this in under an hour while barbecuing dinner. I can tell you though if you don't follow a couple key points in the process its going to be no fun for you.

First, do NOT completely remove the panel, simply feel for it and peel back just enough to pass the hinge assembly through.

tn_1200_f9e91e3c5392c638cc2bc785489e6c51.JPG.png

tn_1200_505452febc14a659c68cb2b44b4f1197.jpg.png

The other key point is to tie some strong twine around the hole and use it to pull the unit into place. On the passenger side, remove the side access panel to make it easier.
IMAG04521_zps9f7859e5.jpg

I have been using now for a couple weeks and love it. Why Ford didn't do this is beyond me, would not have cost them a dime.

This was an easy, inexpensive mod you are going to love.

OP
OP
E63

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSC Reservoir for Fox 3.0 and HD Deavers

So after some 23K Miles, it was time for some maintenance to the suspension and a few upgrades. First up was an upgrade to the Fox 3.0s with an adjustable "DSC" reservoir. It has both a High Speed and Low Speed compression adjustments by turning knobs in defined clicks.

Here is a picture of Jeff from SVC rebuilding the shock, notice how all the shims are carefully laid out to make reassembly accurate.
IMAG04951_zps3f7cbc36.jpg

And installed
IMAG04961_zps56431497.jpg

IMAG04971_zps4aebf5d8.jpg

Both Heim ends to the steering rack had worked themselves loose a little, these were tightened with lock-tite added. Both ball joints on the UCA were replaced. I need to get the truck in to the Dealer-Rip to get one of the CV boots replaced under warranty (i hope)

National Springs to Deavers

First let me start by saying I Love my National Springs, they worked great, I even did the RE Baja 500 with no problems even after they were somewhat sacked. This is all very normal - another maintenance item. I had a choice to have them rebuilt for around $300 (Re-Arched to original, new hardware cleaned and painted.) or new Deavers. I made the decision to give the Deavers a try. These were custom made for me from heavier duty material than normal, and plus 3 or 4 (I don't remember, Jarrett knows), Jarrett also had some custom Shackles made that we ended up not using. We got the right height from the stock ones.

Note: My old HD Nationals are for sale as is for $600 or Reconditioned for $900 including new hardware, local pickup or I can have them shipped for cost.

I have no desire to start a thread about which one is better, they both are great, but there are some notable differences I can point out.

Notice the different ways the iron wraps at the end, the Deavers wrap in opposing directions (Claim is to reduce axle wrap).
IMAG04881_zpse73d6e9c.jpg

This side by side shows some of the sag on the Nationals
IMAG04871_zps16391574.jpg

Deavers also bolt in separators as opposed to plastic spacers that can fall out (to reduce squeaks)
IMAG04891_zps38b8009d.jpg

There are also differences in the type of bushing material. This allows the Deavers to cycle further. Here we have the Deaver on the Passenger side and the National still on the Drivers

IMAG04931_zps2343a5cd.jpg

IMAG04921_zpsfb5780f1.jpg

IMAG04911_zps906b1225.jpg

So far I love the improved ride, much less harmonic vibrations on some sections of Freeways that drive me nuts - I credit the DSCs for this. Still there are a lot of choices on settings that I need to play with. Looking forward to putting her in the dirt for some fun at the upcoming Toy Run on the 13th.

Also, in case anyone is wondering why I am going to SVC and not RPG, it is simply that SVC is a 1/2 hour closer to my house. Both Co. stickers proudly and prominently displayed and in the words of Forest Gump "and thats all I have to say about that"