GEN 2 Grounding mic for Race Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfnsocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased an ICOM F5021 from PCI

1. Is it necessary to ground the mic?

2. I purchased a magnetic mic mount. It looks like most people are mounting their mics just below the 12 V accessory panel on the dash. Since the dash is plastic are people running wires to ground the mic?

This is my first race radio so I’m trying to figure it all out [emoji1687]

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't have a need to ground the mic bracket. The mic is grounded to the radio and the radio is grounded.

While those are factual, the reason to ground the mic is to enable PL on channels, or scan. That said, those magnetic mic brackets are junk, you will never achieve a good ground, just by the design of the base itself, I went round and round with the company, they finally told me to reprogram our radios so we didn’t need a ground. And the doesn’t work either, I’m a commercial user, I.e. police department and I have 150 mobiles that I need to scan and we are not reprogramming them. If you need to ground the mic, I recommend a standard metal mic clip with a ground wire if mounting on plastic.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
interesting. I don't have a separate mic ground. The magnetic mic hangups are a godsend on the trail. Keeps from hot- micing due to dumping the mic in the cupholder.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting. I don't have a separate mic ground. The magnetic mic hangups are a godsend on the trail. Keeps from hot- micing due to dumping the mic in the cupholder.

If you just need to use it as a mic clip, it’ll work, if you need it to ground a mic, it’s a useless POS, in our case, the company would not work with us as far as replacement or reimbursement as we initially bought 180 of them, we were using them for both the radio and pa mic for the siren.

We just use them for the pa mic now, when they are all gone, we won’t buy any more. Just my useless opinion on that hunk of crap.