grinding noise near the engine compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have the defroster in when it starts? Having it on causes the AC to kick on, putting more load on the belt. You could try it both ways to see if it makes a difference.

Yukon Joe

OP
OP
O

ozzie06

Reaction score
You can remove the belt and rotate the tensioner and idler pulleys by hand and feel if they're rough. Another thing to think about is I know on mine when it starts and first runs for a bit when its about 30* and colder, the power steering pump makes a low humming whine till it warms up.

Thanks for the input everyone! ya pirate air, it only happens up here in flag when it gets below 30 so I was thinking it was the power steering pump is their any way to fix that? or do I just have to deal with it....

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines done it since its first winter and 2.5 years later it still does it but zero issues otherwise. I've flushed it with a synthetic fluid and no difference. Its been solid off road, no growling when run hard in the heat like I've seen others do, so at this point I don't wanna mess with it. I'll deal with the cold whine.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
My power steering makes same noise as pirates since it was new. For has always been great for power steering noises when it's a cold start up. I'm just to lazy to worry about it never had a problem in 15k

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh I thought this was a "grinding" noise thread - which sounds more like a belt tensioner pulley. Now it's who wants cheese with their whine? Does it sound like the end of this video? We all decided that was the PS pump

F-150 Raptor jump - YouTube

Last edited:

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The noise at the end of the vid is that of aerated hydraulic fluid.
Similar noise could be present in a hydraulic system at low temperatures due to cavitation.

Last edited: