GEN 1 Grinding noise in neutral while not running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btb5987

Reaction score
Howdy,
Almost a year ago I got a 2013 raptor and haven't had many problems with it. This weekend I managed to hydrolock my engine. I tore apart the bottom end hoping I had clogged a strainer or maybe had a bad oil pump and instead of dirt, found my rod in the oil pan. I finally convinced my parents to let me take on the rebuild and started to tow it home last night and got all kinds of grinding sounds. I had a fresh battery in it with the trans in neutral. It would grind after towing it 10 feet on a strap then I would stop and start again and same thing. I later put it in 4wd and the grinding stopped so I'm worried my transfer case might be screwed up. What confuses me is that the night I hydrolocked it, I had to flat tow it about a mile and never heard this grinding. I haven't driven or run it at all and now this grinding has come.

My guess was that there might be some mechanical vacuum pump or something, so without the engine running its just grinding as it tries to engage something. Im not sure since it didn't do it flat towing with the engine off previously.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,
Ben