Grinding noise from right front wheel after long drives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chasing a really strange problem on my 2011 Raptor. 125k miles. At 112k I started getting the IWE grind, but it only made noise at low speed and during tight turns. Replaced the check valve and solenoid and it went away. Then a few hundred miles later the noise came back, but it only does it after very long drives (75 miles +). I’ll drive 75 miles let’s say, and upon slowing down off the highway and making a sharp turn into a gas station for example, I’ll get a horrific grinding noise from the front right wheel. If I turn the truck off and leave it for a while (could be 30 mins, could be an hour, really haven’t timed it), I can jump back in, crank the wheel, and no noise. It makes no noise when driving short distances and if the truck is turned off after driving long distance, it won’t make the noise. I can’t figure out what would cause this as an IWE leak would be leaking regardless of distance driven.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this same problem. I was horrified when I stopped for gas a quarter of the way into a 1k mi road trip.

Turns out it was the wheel well lining. At speed on the high way it got pushed back (previous owner had front right wreck and the liner was cut to fix frame horn) and would return halfway when slowing down.

Make a left into gas station, worst sound ever. Turns out it was just the plastic shield catching the tire. Best outcome possible.

Yours could be something else, but I’d check there first, you might save yourself some time and effort (money).