Gremlins II: Crackling Static?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Within a few minutes of driving, suddenly a loud BOOM that my initial thought was my window was shot out or heat shattered. Pulled over and checked windows and nothing, all the while the original "BOOM" turned into cracking sound (video). Realized that it was from all speakers. Turned audio off and sound continued. Rebooted sync 4 and sound continued when system rebooted. Pulled over, turned off ignition, open door, waited and sound continued. Restarted truck and changed audio source to XM - work fine, then cycled through all audio sources and worked as designed. Anyone have thoughts of WTF just happened?

Attachments

• IMG_2304.mov
    7 MB

jrvisconti

Reaction score
This is exactly what just happened to me, BOOM followed by the crackling sounds. Turned the truck on/off and it's still here.

Hoping if I let it sit it'll magically go away so I can at least have a truck for the weekend.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
This is exactly what just happened to me, BOOM followed by the crackling sounds. Turned the truck on/off and it's still here.

Hoping if I let it sit it'll magically go away so I can at least have a truck for the weekend.
Trying switching to AM station, then back. If that doesn’t work pull fuse 28 for amplifier found in panel on passenger side.

jrvisconti

Reaction score
Trying switching to AM station, then back. If that doesn’t work pull fuse 28 for amplifier found in panel on passenger side.

it's been sitting for 10 min, just started the truck up.. noticed it say "XM Loading..." which it doesn't normally do. Sound is normal now.

When it originally went BOOM, made me jump

Reaction score
Mine has done that and now it has a consistent crackle/breakup of sound when initiating any navigation or reading a text (apple CarPlay). No more loud sudden booms, but it's the same crackle regardless of Bluetooth or hardwire lightning cable when it reads a message or initiates directions (Waze).