Greetings, y’all!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spinothalamic

Reaction score
Hey,

I’m in Knoxville and about to maybe buy a second gen tomorrow after a less than stellar drive of a gen one today. I’m hoping to help people out eventually on this forum, but right now I need the input.

what to look for? What service should I be certain is done.

finally, wtf is a cam phaser?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome. So you almost bought a Gen 1 Raptor and did not like the ride? Performance? Now your looking at Gen 2’s?

What year are you looking at? Supposedly around 4/18 the cam phaser issue was corrected at the factory and new parts were used for builds after this. Now you will hear of cam phaser problems after this date. But these are just supposedly random failures. How many failures outbid the total Gen 2’a that were built? Hard to say, but still small in comparison. Search Cam Phasers and you can skim through the threads here.

Maintenance items vary depending on mileage. Proper oil changes are very important with these trucks.

Good luck with the purchase.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey,

I’m in Knoxville and about to maybe buy a second gen tomorrow after a less than stellar drive of a gen one today. I’m hoping to help people out eventually on this forum, but right now I need the input.

what to look for? What service should I be certain is done.

finally, wtf is a cam phaser?

A cam phaser is used to adjust camshaft timing while the engine is running; it is part of the camshaft sprocket. They operate using oil pressure and are used on both the 6.2 and 3.5, as well as every other modern engine. When the engine is shut off, the cam phaser is supposed to “park” so that cam timing remains locked during the next engine start. Once oil pressure reaches the phasers, the locking pin disengages and the timing can be controlled.

A small percentage of the earlier phasers (Pre 07/18) were not built with tolerances by the supplier, which can cause them not to lock properly on engine shutdown. When the engine is restarted, the phaser makes noise until oil pressure is received, which takes a couple seconds. It does not result in engine damage, only a noise. All of the ones I’ve seen have been faulty within the 5/60 powertrain warranty so the repair cost was fully covered.

OP
OP
Spinothalamic

Spinothalamic

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help! I test drive the gen 2 2017 SCAB today. Felt like a great truck! Only problem was the rear tires look sketchy, was told they meet safety. I demanded tires and ended up walking out. I had negotiated the deal on good faith that the truck was in dealership quality. And the truck has 86k on it. Would this be too high of miles to buy out of warranty? It is a very nice truck otherwise. I got the price down a few thousand, but would have to drop ~$1500 on new tires pretty quickly.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A relatively small percentage of trucks produced have the issue, it just gets blown out of proportion on the internet.

You also don’t need to remove the cab for the repair; that’s not part of the procedure.
I hear ya', it was the first instructional video I found explaining cam phasers for the op.

OP
OP
Spinothalamic

Spinothalamic

Reaction score
Welcome. So you almost bought a Gen 1 Raptor and did not like the ride? Performance? Now your looking at Gen 2’s?

What year are you looking at? Supposedly around 4/18 the cam phaser issue was corrected at the factory and new parts were used for builds after this. Now you will hear of cam phaser problems after this date. But these are just supposedly random failures. How many failures outbid the total Gen 2’a that were built? Hard to say, but still small in comparison. Search Cam Phasers and you can skim through the threads here.

Maintenance items vary depending on mileage. Proper oil changes are very important with these trucks.

Good luck with the purchase.
I noticed a slight clunk in the front end of the gen 1. The truck is nice otherwise, but has 117k on the clock. The salesman assured me that is how all raptors sound in the front end. I would still buy that truck, but for like $10k less than current price.

I negotiated a deal on a gen2 that I drove today, only to find out it needs new tires within a few months. Not cool. They refused to put on tires so I left. Bummer. It was a very clean truck.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help! I test drive the gen 2 2017 SCAB today. Felt like a great truck! Only problem was the rear tires look sketchy, was told they meet safety. I demanded tires and ended up walking out. I had negotiated the deal on good faith that the truck was in dealership quality. And the truck has 86k on it. Would this be too high of miles to buy out of warranty? It is a very nice truck otherwise. I got the price down a few thousand, but would have to drop ~$1500 on new tires pretty quickly.

Well since your here inquiring and looking for help. The magic question is, how much is the truck? Then we can let you know what we think.