Great raptor vs trx suspension real world comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I’m never going to put a truck through this kind of terrain (not really an option in Western Montana). To be honest, with the info provided I thought it was kind of interesting. For a heavier truck I thought the TRX did pretty well.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When he posted these videos I told him he should have done a drag race on the trails to see how the 2 put the power down. He said "it was a pointless test", which in some regard it might be but I was curious how the RAMs AWD performed vs Fords 4WD.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I'm really intrigued by him saying that the new fox shocks will be significantly faster in response than the current 2nd gen's. I haven't seen this anywhere but then again I haven't been following the gen 3 news closely. I am curious what fox could do to "upgrade" the gen 2 shocks if sent in to them for a rebuild.
If I remember correctly the Gen3 shock response is better due to reading values 500/sec vs. 250/sec, something like that.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video is 15 worthless minutes without stating what drive mode the TRX was in. Huge difference between auto and baja modes.

TRX is heavier and taller, Raptor should feel more nimble. That said all other reviews point to the TRX handling incredible well in Baja mode where the suspension is completely different than Automatic or Sport.

Also just from watching the vid you can see the TRX was traveling at a higher speed. Doesn’t seem like an impartial review..... then again, what is any more

This all day. There is a gap or opportunity to do more 'scientific' or 'myth busters' type comparisons/reviews of models, tires, suspension upgrades, tunes, lights... you get the idea. Content that shows the same vehicle using KO2s vs. KM3s on the same trail, same vehicle, same driver. That was a great vid. You be the judge (Paul Harrell reference - guy is awesome!!! and he puts a lot of effort into controlling variables).

Or running 31s 33s vs 35s - again, that was a great, informative vid. In our case, a side by side comparison of 37s vs. 35s.

I think that there are so many brand deals, affiliations, politics, etc., someone doesn't emerge to do fair, impartial reviews. Consumer Reports style, but make it entertaining.

I am just too skeptical of content that shows one micro clip as the basis of comparison. It might indicate a larger issue, to direct further investigation, but one moment, variables not controlled or explained doesn't prove anything to me.

And I don't particularly like anything about the TRX. I think it will be better than many trucks offroad, but will far very short of a gen 2 raptor in most categories.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When he posted these videos I told him he should have done a drag race on the trails to see how the 2 put the power down. He said "it was a pointless test", which in some regard it might be but I was curious how the RAMs AWD performed vs Fords 4WD.
I think that would be an excellent test. In AWD and 4WD.

As would braking from 50 mph and 80 mph offroad.

As would a slalom

As would lean angle...

the 'Gauntlet' or similar reference trail with stock vehicles. TFL compared the gen2 to a powerwagon, I think and although a PW is good at many things, the weight was a huge liability on the loose steep trail. TFL tend toward being huge dodge fanbois, but they couldn't hide the stark difference.

Dtsgli

Reaction score
He stated in their first test that the TRX front driverside tire tuck was a bit less than the Raptor. I saw the opposite.