GEN 1 Grease coming out of axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
c7978406474dafd133fe5f71d81644a6.jpg

How difficult a repair is this? I am out of town and don’t have any tools. Want to drive 150 miles and see if I can fix it myself. Grease is coming out of the boot of the axle. There is a random squeak mostly in reverse. But definitely feels funny above about 70 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tear in the CV boot and grese is pumping out of the joint. Unless this just happened you can almost guarantee that water/dirt has contaminated and is destroying the joint so you may as well replace the axle shaft/CV. You may also want to check your front shocks to see if they are leaking as well....I see some residual oil on the perch that may have leaked down from the top seals. Replace everything that is required as long as you have the front end apart.

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Any recommendations on an axle? I might as well replace both while I am in there. I am replacing all four shocks this weekend.

Thanks!

C

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you been in 4 wheel drive? If you haven't, that shouldn't be spinning. You could have IWE issues engaging your axle when it shouldn't be.

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Any recommendations on an axle? I might as well replace both while I am in there. I am replacing all four shocks this weekend.

Thanks!

C

I think any brand name axle shaft will be a good replacement...Rock Auto has the Motorcraft replacement (make sure to get will hill descent control) for about $250/per IIRC.