Grainy/vibration feel on steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdeater21

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently bought a 13 roush raptor with 59k miles. I came from a 2020 raptor. While cruising above 20mph or so I can feel a vibration (not tire balance or shimmy) but a grainy type of feeling at the steering wheel when I put a slight load on the power steering pump. If the wheel is center (minimal power steering load it’s smooth). The truck pulls a bit to the right so I’m always loading the power steering slightly to the left. I’ve searched and couldn’t find definitive answers as to if this is normal or not (there are a few posts) I have seen the power steering pump kits with big reservoirs ect. But I don’t want to spend $1k on that if it’s normal for these trucks to have that feel. There is no noise from the pump, fluid is full with no bubbles.

Attachments

• 174B9266-84B1-4F87-B80A-B1B202799763.jpeg
    174B9266-84B1-4F87-B80A-B1B202799763.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 5

Blacktor

Reaction score
Sweet truck! I think it's kind of normal. I've noticed that on my 13 when I hop in it after driving other vehicles. You get used to it. Hydraulic steering vs electric in the gen 2. I saw a video online where a guy adjusted the nut on the rack to take out some of the steering wheel play on-center. Potentially try that. It's free.

svt12

Reaction score
It could be wheel hubs/bearings. I've had same harshness/grainy feeling in steering wheel along with what I was thinking was tire roar but tires have plenty of tread left (BFG KO2's) for some time (2012 with 95k miles) and I'm looking at just replacing both front hubs soon.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Beautiful truck, sorry to say, but that is not normal, should drive smooth, on the highway you can use one finger on the steering wheel and it shouldn't vibrate at all. Check and see if somebody installed iwe deletes or if there is an issue with the hubs/bearings, especially the axle nuts.