GPS Units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the data from motionX on the iPhone how would I get that to a file onto the computer to convert it to a usr for my lowrance?

Either check out the FAQ that BigJ linked to above, or just hit "Share" in the MotionX menu and email it to yourself and convert it from there.

How do you plan to mount it, by the way? I'm going to give one of these a try: RAM X-Grip II™ Tablet Mount although I have serious doubts about it actually staying stuck when hammering 'er off road. I might have to end up hard mounting it via one of their flat mounts.

I'm using a RAM suction cup mount to the windshield and the iPhone specific cradle. I mount it right above the center dash speaker, and it's rock solid and easy to see w/o being in the way. This location is also within easy reach of the USB port for charging and music access. If/when I get an iPad I'll just buy a cradle for that and switch it out, although only experience will tell if a tablet in this location would block too much view.

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my setup for the Texas Run, I'll be using MotionX. The iPad is on a Ram mount that mounts to the base of the seat.

921a0252.jpg

Tejas

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my setup for the Texas Run, I'll be using MotionX. The iPad is on a Ram mount that mounts to the base of the seat.

921a0252.jpg

Tejas

Tejas, how did this iPad mount work for you on the track? Pretty steady, or did it vibrate and/or bounce around?

I'm using a suction cup Ram mount off the windshield. It is easy to see and very stable, but it blocks more of the windshield than I like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His truck went away before the run so I don't think he ever tested it.

Too bad, it looked like a decent mount and I would have liked to learned how it worked w/o having to buy one myself. :)

Here are the two iPad mounting locations I've tried so far. Both work okay, but I'm not completely satisfied. The higher mount blocks more of the windshield, but is a bit more stable. I am using this mount and this cradle.

bb833611-b1c9-db81.jpg
bb833611-b1d7-c02a.jpg
bb833611-b1e3-506d.jpg

bb833611-b1f0-9ba2.jpg
bb833611-b1fa-62eb.jpg

bb833611-b207-d057.jpg

Sorry about the poor lighting, but I never seem to find time to do this when the sun is up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD ***& edited on a PC because TapaTalk is not so good at inserting hyperlinks...

Last edited:

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
i got a garmin GPSMAP 62st. Ive been using it for backcountry camping and fishing ect. gets the job done well never got lost.