GPS Units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a quick update:

I haven't downloaded maps in a while via BCN, and it seems things have changed. MyTopo.com has been bought by Trimble, and they revoked the public access that BCN was taking advantage of. So an update came out for BCN that now lets you download ArcGIS maps.

I'm not sure if its just my timing or if this new server is that much faster, but I just downloaded all of north Texas in 2 hours.

I'm still trying to figure out some way of making BCN work in Central America.

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MotionX for iPhone offers free downloads of satellite, terrain, and road data, including Baja.

Never used it on the road, so I can't vouch for its usability there, but it works pretty slick offroad. Have not had much time to play with it, but it appears to allow import/export of points and routes.

ruffstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an Android user, and have been very happy with BCN. Unlimited waypoints, live route tracing, gpx file import and export, Google MyMaps integration, distance calculations, downloadable (free!) topo maps for offline use... basically BCN does everything I've asked it to do when it comes to navigating 'out there'.
J - Were you using Locus at one time? What made you change to BCN or are you using both?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yessir, I sure was. IMHO Locus has a superior feature set and user interface. It just looks better, all around. And it was my choice right up until Trimble pulled MyTopo.com maps. Locus depended on those just like BCN did. But unlike BCN, Locus has yet to update itself to support any other US topo maps. All you can currently download in the US with Locus is MapQuest satellite and hybrid maps. No topos. :(

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

I'm not sure if its just my timing or if this new server is that much faster, but I just downloaded all of north Texas in 2 hours.

I'm still trying to figure out some way of making BCN work in Central America.
It was my timing :( I've tried four times since this to grab some California maps and each time its timed out after several hours. Downloads are still all but crippled.

I just found and downloaded a new-ish app called Gaia GPS. Supposedly these guys have their own server and that's where you connect to to download maps (unlike BCN where you're downloading maps from the ArcGIS server). They also claim to support Central America...

More to come, I'm sure :birgits_tiredcoffee

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well Gaia didn't last long. Each download is limited to 10k tiles (maybe 10square miles?) and it doesn't let you save to your SD card. Pass.

After some Googling, I discovered the other half of the Trimble/MyTopo maps story. Trimble has recently come out with its own app, called Trimble Outdoors Navigator: Outdoors app, navigate trails & GPS topo maps | Trimble Outdoors Navigator They've built it to depend on their recent acquisition, MyTopo maps. I can't really blame them for taking them away from everyone else since they ponied up the bucks to buy them in the first place.

TON has a long way to go. But the good news is its by far the best I've seen yet. Its an entire experience; you can create entire trips online using any number of different maps (streets, topos, satelite, hybrid), you can save and edit those trips, publish them for others or keep them private... and then all that automatically syncs with the app. Very very slick.

As for the maps themselves, you can download them from the website as zip files! That's a HUGE deal. The app does let you download as well, but the interface to do so sucks right now. But who cares... just download everything you need as a huge ass zip file and then copy it over to your phone via USB. Soooo nice.

There's one major show stopper to that at the moment; some combo of phones and android wont read the SD card so you'd have to copy those maps to your internal storage (which is crazy small compared to how large an SD card can be). I've talked with the developers (very responsive!) and apparently they have a fix in testing now. No ETA yet on when it will be released.

I'll be keeping an eye on this app. If they can solve the SD card issue, and clean up a few other PITA user interface issues, this whole package will stand head and shoulders above all in the Android market and IMHO would totally replace a stand alone GPS unit (and probably even laptop based solutions). Keeping my fingers crossed...

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No sweat. I dig this stuff.

Here's an example. I just "created" a trip; its the Mojave Road we ran last month.

Mojave Road | Four Wheeling in California

Rather than hastle GPX or KML files, I could have just given that link and everyone could see all the stats they needed to right there. Then, those going who also run TON could "add" it to their account via one click, and **** its on their phone. Pretty darn sweet, especially since its all free (unless you buy the Pro version of the app for $5).

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thought I'd update this.

I've been playing with the Lowrance Elite 5M Baja now for a couple weeks. With only the basemaps, its pretty useless on the pavement without a course loaded. Its just not an on road worthy unit; its never claimed to be, just sayin. I'd also say its pretty useless as an "adventurer" GPS; again the basemaps just don't show you anything except a ton of tan and the occasional river.

I do love how big and bright the screen is. And hitting the big buttons while driving is a breeze. No doubt if you're speeding thru the dirt, marking hazards or following a race route, this thing kicks ass. There's nothing else like it when it comes to serving that purpose.

I bought the 50 state version of MapCreate 7.1 and now that I've played with it for a few days, consider it a requirement if you're going with the Baja. Its a little clunky to use, but once you get the hang of it route creation, editing laying out etc is a snap. And the maps take the thing from worthless on road to almost usable. Again, that's not the point, just sayin. And as for adventuring, it gets a whole lot more usable with pretty good topo maps that sometimes even includes trails.

So where does that leave me? I'm going to either return it or sell it on (let me know if you're interested; I'll cut a good deal on the whole package including unit, Outlaw Raptor mount, MapCreate software and a few MicroSD cards). Its just too much of an investment for me to make, given that I don't tend to spend my time in the dirt at breakneck speeds. I can afford to stop for a second and figure things out if I need to, and I don't need to mark a hazard in a hurry. In other words, its just too specialized for me given the investment.

Feel free to fire away with specific questions. Happy to pass along whatever I've learned. And if you think you're interested, let me know and I'll send it all your way.

Last edited: