GPS recording my travels. Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can track trails in both motion x and backcountry. It's called "live" something or another.

For navigation check settings, some have different modes they use for point to point. Street, wilderness, boating, etc.

There's software from garmin that will create tracks. It's free on their website.

You can export google earth tracks to backcountry navigator but they won't give you point to point directions. Just the track overlay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's software from garmin that will create tracks. It's free on their website.

You can export google earth tracks to backcountry navigator but they won't give you point to point directions. Just the track overlay

I want to try and pre plan the pre run and plot the intended course of travel, then put it on my tablet.

How do I get Google Earth to follow a route of the "pins"?

Then how would I transfer than over to my tablet which has the Backcountry Nav? I'm thinking that it might be easier to do from my desktop computer rather than using the tablet to plot a course.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't use the pins. They mean nothing. Start a track and click where you want.

You can't navigate by the pins. Can't navigate by the route either.

Basically you won't get turn by turn navigation. But you will have the route and you just have to follow it yourself.

That's how i did sdbr and we were 98% error free... One road was too narrow. Couldn't tell by google earth.

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't need turn by turn, but I'd like to be able to follow a marked route to make it easier than trying to follow a map and read signs.

The tablet was great on the Snowball. Even though it wasn't needed, it was still great to have a visual aid.

I'll play around with it some more and see if I can force it to make tracks.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Making tracks in google earth is easy. Then you just export the track to your tablet. Easy peasy. Then you can color code them as well.

I like to throw in a "bug out" route at set distances incase of medical emergencies. Then I color code them green. (Medical color in Europe)

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huck,

Quick question, do you use the "ruler > paths" then draw on the intended path/route? Or do you use the "path" icon and also draw on the route?

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread/topic...

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huck,

Quick question, do you use the "ruler > paths" then draw on the intended path/route? Or do you use the "path" icon and also draw on the route?

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread/topic...

use the "add path" and click your routes.

Its in teh same tool bar as the pins and an area tool.

the ruler only gives you distances.

GRT4DRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use GAIA GPS. Nice app for recording where I have been. I have used this on a couple Raptor Runs and plan to continue to use it.

GRT4DRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjust settings so that it syncs to GaiaCloud. Then you can download the GPX or KML file. Not sure if that's the proper format for the app you mentioned.