GEN 2 Got some price estimates for B&O upgrade...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Snooka

Reaction score
This may be a naïve, but is it possible to install a 10” sub and amp behind the backrest of the passenger side back seat, such that when you raise up the full bench seat you still have the full deck space for gear? I find myself utilizing it frequently which has held me back from adding components.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This may be a naïve, but is it possible to install a 10” sub and amp behind the backrest of the passenger side back seat, such that when you raise up the full bench seat you still have the full deck space for gear? I find myself utilizing it frequently which has held me back from adding components.
Yes
Mobile Toys / MTI have a behind the seat box - 1-2 x 10”, 12” or I think only 1 13.5” not sure if there are 2x 13.5” boxes. They use shallow mount subs and I believe MTI only sells them loaded w/ JL subs. I have the single 10” box and have a thread detailing the install. There’s only one limitation; you can’t push the sub with the passenger seat in the up position. The sub will contact the seat back frame and tear itself up. I stuck some sound insulation on the seat back to minimize sharp edges, just in case.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t touch any Hertz Speakers under the Millie Pro or Legends, for a little more $$ from those CK’s you could get some JL’s which would sound worlds better. My buddy works at my local stereo shop and he always calls when he is doing a raptor so I can listen to it.

They also do Audiomobile 10’s under the backseat and it sounds super clean and loud, 2 10’s sound great and they have done 4 10’s which sounded incredible.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the NAVtv interface. without it you won't be able to get rid of the stock amp. You should also avoid wasting the space under your seat. A good shop will be able to fashion a box that will hold 2 10" JL audio subs behind the seat. Save your under seat floor space. Also make sure you get a decent DSP or you won't be able to dial in the sound, set speaker timing, etc, etc. I used the JL audio TWK88 but there are many good ones.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have that audison amp in my truck and absolutely no complaints. First about the sub though, I believe the audison subs are already in the box. Another guy on here had one, thought I think it was 10", and was happy with his. I didn't go that route.

On to the amp...it's 8 channels. 2 for the tweeters, 2 for the front doors, 2 for the rear. You can use the last two channels for the sub, 250W. I have a single 12" in a ported box. Some may want more than that, but this works just fine for me. My main point though is for the 8" sub they were quoting you at, I doubt you need a separate mono amp.

Oh, and that amp has DSP built in.

OP
OP
Tr4ckD4ys

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most stuff can be bought online for cheaper. but remember this, where did you go to get the quote? where did you go to look at the equipment in person? who told you abou the equipment that fits in your vehicle? who spent the time to answer your questions? retail shops are here for a reason, nothing worse than spending time with a customer telling them everything they need and then having them go buy it online only to come back and have us install it. our labor rate goes up 30% when we have customers do that. not worth our time to educate people and then they just use our knowledge and try to find the cheapest price. go support your local shop. plus try getting something warrantied when you bought it online. thats a fun one

as far as sub setups go, i usually do 2 10" woofers under the 2/3 side seat. we build a fiberglass box that mounts under there. we have a $12k upgrade package we do a lot of and its 2 audiomobile evo subwoofers and an arc audio 1100 watt amplifier. plenty of bass for enthusiast. however if you are wanting more bass, then sound quality isnt your main concern. but can definitely point you in the right direction if you wish
what he said. I used to be a installer/dealer 30+ years ago. Last year when i decided to do my truck, i did the research on line. went to a local shop, and bounced my ideas off them, demo'd the things i liked in their show room.

I bought from them, knowing if i ever had issues they would be there to support me.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's, we hated when people showed up with crutchfield stuff and then asked us for help. So i wasnt going to do that with my local guys.

Yeah I’m just doing my online homework to make sure things are in check. I wouldn’t buy myself and then bring into the shop.

However,
You need the NAVtv interface. without it you won't be able to get rid of the stock amp. You should also avoid wasting the space under your seat. A good shop will be able to fashion a box that will hold 2 10" JL audio subs behind the seat. Save your under seat floor space. Also make sure you get a decent DSP or you won't be able to dial in the sound, set speaker timing, etc, etc. I used the JL audio TWK88 but there are many good ones.

they also didn’t offer at all to fashion different casings although I took the 8” versus bigger question head on. Their response is that it would require under the seat mounting unless I wanted the sub to rub the back of the seat and obliterate itself.

My last issue is: I am somewhat happy with the B&O system but am simply lacking some crispness and bass at volumes of >12. I simply haven’t heard another raptor with an upgraded system!

Anyone in the Chicago area willing to showcase? Recommendations for shops?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My last issue is: I am somewhat happy with the B&O system but am simply lacking some crispness and bass at volumes of >12. I simply haven’t heard another raptor with an upgraded system!

I am in STL....come on down.

I too was relatively happy with the stock B&O system. It sounded great when my family was in the car. But...on days when work sucked, and I wanted to roll all the windows down and open the roof.....the stereo was a HUGE let down.

So I replaced it all. Now I can listen with ease at 90mph on the highway with the windows down and hear/feel every note. Added clarity at low levels is a nice bonus.

It was a trade off, but i chose dual 10's under the back seat. i never need that space for cargo, so it was just wasted space.....speakers filled it nicely. I may try and redo the enclosure and squeeze dual 12's in.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m just doing my online homework to make sure things are in check. I wouldn’t buy myself and then bring into the shop.

However,

they also didn’t offer at all to fashion different casings although I took the 8” versus bigger question head on. Their response is that it would require under the seat mounting unless I wanted the sub to rub the back of the seat and obliterate itself.

Find another shop. I have 2 10" JL audio subs behind the seat. The cabinet meets the requirements specified by JL audio. The seats DO NOT touch the speaker even when raised. I retained full use of the rear floor space. The only reason to not go this rout is if you want a different sub. I think JL audio is the only manufacture that makes a sub that doesn't require a super deep box....
DUAL JL AUDIO 10TW3-D4. If they aren't familiar with this sub then...again...go to a different shop. These subs were designed to fit in limited spaces. Any other sub would probably require under seat boxes.

OP
OP
Tr4ckD4ys

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find another shop. I have 2 10" JL audio subs behind the seat. The cabinet meets the requirements specified by JL audio. The seats DO NOT touch the speaker even when raised. I retained full use of the rear floor space. The only reason to not go this rout is if you want a different sub. I think JL audio is the only manufacture that makes a sub that doesn't require a super deep box....
DUAL JL AUDIO 10TW3-D4. If they aren't familiar with this sub then...again...go to a different shop. These subs were designed to fit in limited spaces. Any other sub would probably require under seat boxes.

Is it only the 10" that fit or also the 12" of the same model?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 10tw3 is really the deepest speaker you can fit behind there, but the sub isnt the best. it works for people who want a little bit more bass, but unfortunately due to the nature of a shallow subwoofer, it doesnt play some frequencies well and will sound muffled or distorted at specific frequency ranges. and trying to put anything in the oem enclosure is worthless. the oem enclosure is molded plastic. there is a bold on the backside that bolts into the oem subwoofer to help solidify the box. any aftermarket sub will push more air than the oem and the box will flex. sure you will get a little more output, but once the volume goes up and the box flexes, you are creating out of phase sound waves which will cancel out the sound coming from the woofer. you can take the worlds crapiest woofer, put it in the perfec box and it will sound good. you can take the worlds best woofer and put it in a crappy box and it will sound terrible. simply put for clean, deep bass throughout the sub frequncy range, you need a real woofer and not a shallow mount. but a lot of people like the output of a shallow mount and dont really care about the frequency range as long as its louder. descision is yours.