GEN 2 Got some price estimates for B&O upgrade...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Rip-off? Which items should i change or ask for a different piece? The guy basically gave me four options: 3 Pre-amp ones, using the existing B&O infrastructure and one full-blown post-amp one, using a NAV TV device. My tendency is to go to Option 3 (which is Pre-Amp, adding an additional amp post B&O amp, new speakers and a sub).
View media item 15035View media item 15036View media item 15037View media item 15034

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will want the nav tv piece. as far as equipment, that is just dependant on what you want (or expect) your final outcome to be

OP
OP
Tr4ckD4ys

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well first of all I’m surprised at the 1x 8” sub on all the offers. I feel like most people here are going for 10 or 12 and if I’m already doing this spiel, mostly for bass, why such a small sub? How different would that really be from the current set up.
I also looked up some of the part prices and thought that these can be had cheaper online...

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they only charging you for the sub and not the enclosure?? I don't see a sub box in that list.

I'd personally go the Zen route but I think you should set a budget on what you want to spend and see what fits your over all goal. If you want more bass I don't think that 8" and under powered components are going to cut it.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on your profile page, you have a 2017 with the Sony system? If so, why is upgrading to the B&O a consideration for you?

OP
OP
Tr4ckD4ys

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on your profile page, you have a 2017 with the Sony system? If so, why is upgrading to the B&O a consideration for you?
Not sure why the profile page says that... I have a 2019 screw...

Are they only charging you for the sub and not the enclosure?? I don't see a sub box in that list.

I'd personally go the Zen route but I think you should set a budget on what you want to spend and see what fits your over all goal. If you want more bass I don't think that 8" and under powered components are going to cut it.

Thats my concern - I have to go down the zen round to even make the cut. In either function, I agree that 8“ won’t cut it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Buy once, cry once. component choice aside, there are several different brands that will give you very good to excellent sound with more volume, more true to life sound, and much better reproduction of sound precision. From what I spent, and what others have spent, 2k - 3k is a good price range to be in for components. I agree about the sub, an 8” sub is going to leave you wanting more depth. I have a single 10” in the MTI enclosure and I think that right on the bottom edge of the happy spot for me. I’d go for slightly more, especially at lower volumes, but I am really happy with the MTI / JL audio setup. I would strongly recommend you consider a 10 or 12” sub depending on your use case. Go big, or go home.

I am not able to speak to labor as I did my own install.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Rip-off? Which items should i change or ask for a different piece? The guy basically gave me four options: 3 Pre-amp ones, using the existing B&O infrastructure and one full-blown post-amp one, using a NAV TV device. My tendency is to go to Option 3 (which is Pre-Amp, adding an additional amp post B&O amp, new speakers and a sub).
View media item 15035View media item 15036View media item 15037View media item 15034

I would do option 3. I did do option 3 :)

you could save a little cash by getting a little less bling in you components. Up to you. The labor seems right for the work being done. I was lucky and could do all that labor myself.

and I agree...2 - 10's....1 - 8 inch is not going to cut it

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well first of all I’m surprised at the 1x 8” sub on all the offers. I feel like most people here are going for 10 or 12 and if I’m already doing this spiel, mostly for bass, why such a small sub? How different would that really be from the current set up.
I also looked up some of the part prices and thought that these can be had cheaper online...
most stuff can be bought online for cheaper. but remember this, where did you go to get the quote? where did you go to look at the equipment in person? who told you abou the equipment that fits in your vehicle? who spent the time to answer your questions? retail shops are here for a reason, nothing worse than spending time with a customer telling them everything they need and then having them go buy it online only to come back and have us install it. our labor rate goes up 30% when we have customers do that. not worth our time to educate people and then they just use our knowledge and try to find the cheapest price. go support your local shop. plus try getting something warrantied when you bought it online. thats a fun one

as far as sub setups go, i usually do 2 10" woofers under the 2/3 side seat. we build a fiberglass box that mounts under there. we have a $12k upgrade package we do a lot of and its 2 audiomobile evo subwoofers and an arc audio 1100 watt amplifier. plenty of bass for enthusiast. however if you are wanting more bass, then sound quality isnt your main concern. but can definitely point you in the right direction if you wish

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
most stuff can be bought online for cheaper. but remember this, where did you go to get the quote? where did you go to look at the equipment in person? who told you abou the equipment that fits in your vehicle? who spent the time to answer your questions? retail shops are here for a reason, nothing worse than spending time with a customer teling them everything they need and then having them go buy it online only to come back and have us install it. our labor rate goes up 30% when we have customers do that. not worth our time to educate people and then they just use our knowledge and try to find the cheapest price. go support your local shop.

what he said. I used to be a installer/dealer 30+ years ago. Last year when i decided to do my truck, i did the research on line. went to a local shop, and bounced my ideas off them, demo'd the things i liked in their show room.

I bought from them, knowing if i ever had issues they would be there to support me.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's, we hated when people showed up with crutchfield stuff and then asked us for help. So i wasnt going to do that with my local guys.