Good or Bad Idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmxstak

Reaction score
So I ordered a 2022 37 Package with an allocation 2 weeks ago at MSRP, of course that is quite a ways out from being delivered. A dealer I had previously contacted about a 21 801A 35 truck calls me yesterday and lets me know their original buyer might fall through. They're asking $5k over sticker, with all options comes out to a little over 85K.

My idea.. I was thinking about purchasing the 21, driving it until the truck I ordered comes in, and then trade it in on my build or sell outright. Judging by the market, which doesn't seem to be calming down anytime soon, I should be able to get what I paid for it on trade, or maybe make money. So should I just wait for my truck to be built, or jump on this one? I have been dailying a little beater tacoma since I sold my car, so my want to get a Raptor faster is a bit higher than normal.

Thanks!

lffd

Reaction score
While nothing is guaranteed I think your assumptions are safe. Just keep in mind all of your tax obligations. Even in this market a dealer giving you a 37 at sticker is unlikely to pay you close to that money for a used 35. Worst case, taking the 35 now might cost you 10k to hold you over until the 37. If that's worth it to you then go for it; you can always take the 35 now and if the costs are too high when it comes time to get into the 37 you can keep the 35 and somebody will take the 37 (hopefully me :) ).

OP
OP
dmxstak

dmxstak

Reaction score
While nothing is guaranteed I think your assumptions are safe. Just keep in mind all of your tax obligations. Even in this market a dealer giving you a 37 at sticker is unlikely to pay you close to that money for a used 35. Worst case, taking the 35 now might cost you 10k to hold you over until the 37. If that's worth it to you then go for it; you can always take the 35 now and if the costs are too high when it comes time to get into the 37 you can keep the 35 and somebody will take the 37 (hopefully me :) ).
That was my thought as well while I was typing that about them more than likely not offering a high trade value if I'm getting the one I ordered at sticker. Would probably be better off selling private party, although then not getting the tax credit for a trade in might take out any profit lol

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever noticed that time and money are interchangeable? If you don't have money, it's going to take a lot of time. If you don't have time, it's going to cost a lot of money. Most of us have to find some sort of happy medium.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i just got a 21 and dont like the colour VB , yesterday i order a 37 in silver. Thjey said they will give me what i paid for my VB with the 37 arrives. id say do it