Good deal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Rizzo

Reaction score
I've been looking for a Raptor for a few months now and have come close to a few deals, but havent pulled the trigger.

Im close to finalizing a deal for a 2017 in Avalanche Grey with 20k miles. This is a super crew that has everything except graphics (im fine w/o them) and carbon fiber. Its also a CPO and tires seem to be in good shape still.

Looking at $56k and Id have to fly to go get it.

Thoughts?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a Raptor for a few months now and have come close to a few deals, but havent pulled the trigger.

Im close to finalizing a deal for a 2017 in Avalanche Grey with 20k miles. This is a super crew that has everything except graphics (im fine w/o them) and carbon fiber. Its also a CPO and tires seem to be in good shape still.

Looking at $56k and Id have to fly to go get it.

Thoughts?

Jason ..... In my opinion, that is an okay deal, but I had issues with my 2017 and traded it in for a 2019 which is night and day better. That said, I am wondering if the person that owned the Raptor you are looking at had a similar experience and did the same thing. I would shy away from a 2017 because they seemed to have some kinks that got worked out later. If you were buying the truck that I traded in and treated like a queen, you would be very unhappy in a short period of time even though it looks brand new.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jason Rizzo

Jason Rizzo

Reaction score
Wow...thats good info. What kind of issues did you experience? I have another possible deal for a 2018 CPO with 24k miles for $58k

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...thats good info. What kind of issues did you experience? I have another possible deal for a 2018 CPO with 24k miles for $58k

1) My gas pedal vibrated like I had a cell phone on vibrate under my foot (The dealer thought this might have been caused by a bad torque converter, but the amount of vibration was just a tad shy of what it needed to be for Ford to authorize pulling the transmission.)
2) I had issues with it stuttering under modest acceleration.
3) They were never able to successfully do the recall to keep my doors from freezing (took it in seven times for this).
4) Hard and irregular shifts that software updates never fixed
5) etc.....

The truck was a mess to drive.

OP
OP
Jason Rizzo

Jason Rizzo

Reaction score
1) My gas pedal vibrated like I had a cell phone on vibrate under my foot (The dealer thought this might have been caused by a bad torque converter, but the amount of vibration was just a tad shy of what it needed to be for Ford to authorize pulling the transmission.)
2) I had issues with it stuttering under modest acceleration.
3) They were never able to successfully do the recall to keep my doors from freezing (took it in seven times for this).
4) Hard and irregular shifts that software updates never fixed
5) etc.....

The truck was a mess to drive.

Well...I decided it was worth a look and my son and I are flying to NC to either walk away or drive it home. I've been in the market for months and this one really checked all of the boxes for me.

Thanks for the input!

Link2rick

Reaction score
I have a 2017 that i pickup a month ago with 15k on it and mine has no issues. Been driving it hard to find them so they will be fixed under the factory warranty before it expires.

Tommy1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...I decided it was worth a look and my son and I are flying to NC to either walk away or drive it home. I've been in the market for months and this one really checked all of the boxes for me.

Thanks for the input!

Pretty sure I saw that one online (Lake Norman?) It's a good looking truck and has a clean Carfax. If you're serious enough to fly there to look at it, you're definitely not going to walk away from it. Congrats on buying the new truck!!

OP
OP
Jason Rizzo

Jason Rizzo

Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw that one online (Lake Norman?) It's a good looking truck and has a clean Carfax. If you're serious enough to fly there to look at it, you're definitely not going to walk away from it. Congrats on buying the new truck!!
Thats the one...lets hope for the best! Worst-case scenario is that my son and I get a quick trip out of it.

Tommy1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the one...lets hope for the best! Worst-case scenario is that my son and I get a quick trip out of it.

I did the same thing, but in my situation I had already bought the truck before I even saw it so I knew I was driving it home... I flew to Wisconsin and drove it back home to Idaho (1700 miles). It was just as described if not more!

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early Build 2017's are OK except for the Acceleration Shuddering and Transmission shifting. The Ford PCM & TCM firmware updates can fix it if you can get your Ford Dealer to do it under warranty. If you are doing Fly and Buy be sure you say "subject to inspection and test drive at delivery".

My early 2017 has been good after the PCM & TCM updates. Plastic Oil Pan makes me nervous though...