Going to Zion National Park, Need Recommendation for Off-road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a great time here in Zion. We came for my daughter's "marriage" in Zion, so I didn't have much time for off-roading. Here is a great shot of the married couple!

K&Z Zion Marry.jpg

They were already formally married up in Maryland, this was just a ceremonial event at one of their favorite places to visit. That picture was them at the top of "Lady Mountain."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did make the drive up Kolob Terrace Rd to the Kolob reservoir. That was a great scenic drive. I would have taken more pictures, but I was driving and just taking everything in!

Wildcat 02.jpg

More pictures to follow. Having difficulties uploading right now..................

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Thanks! We're staying in Springdale for this trip, although we'll be in St. George Washington for 1 night. I'll definitely look at your thread in detail and I'll also look for the trail recommendations you've made. Is the Wells book (Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 3rd Edition) good for the Zion area? I'll definitely PM you as we get closer for more tips and recommendations!! Thanks much!!
I don’t believe that covers Zion.
Definitely the Benchmark maps ;)

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Having a great time here in Zion. We came for my daughter's "marriage" in Zion, so I didn't have much time for off-roading. Here is a great shot of the married couple!

View attachment 312822

They were already formally married up in Maryland, this was just a ceremonial event at one of their favorite places to visit.
Beautiful, thanks for sharing

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I agree completely! The dry heat here is so much better than the humid heat we get in Houston! We actually ate dinner at MeMe's cafe in Springdale under a shade tree at about 6 pm. I believe the temperature was right at about 105 and it was completely bearable. There was a little breeze and it wasn't that bad at all.
Do True, as long as the 105/118 is beating directly on you it’s bearable :)

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
We did make the drive up Kolob Terrace Rd to the Kolob reservoir. That was a great scenic drive. I would have taken more pictures, but I was driving and just taking everything in!

View attachment 312823

More pictures to follow. Having difficulties uploading right now..................
I knew you would love it. You should see it in the snow!

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
It's been slow going. Rain has been delaying things. We finally had our pre-construction meeting with Tilson, so now the construction should start in a few weeks. The property is too wet right now for anyone to do anything. Separately from the house construction, I'm hoping to have the concrete foundation poured for my workshop by the end of July. We just need all this rain to stop!!
Send that Rain to VEGAS, ASAP!!

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your Still in Zion eat at OSCARS great Mexican food and the rind are surprisingly delicious!
Not Johnson City TX good, but outstanding nonetheless;)
Too funny! We have one more day here in Zion. Tonight we actually ate at Oscar's and I had the chicken flautas. Outstanding indeed!!

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is Kolob Reservoir. Beautiful body of water. Down in Springdale and Hurricane, the temps were in the mid to upper 110's. The elevation of the reservoir allowed the temperature to be about 80. The water was still super cold. We tried to go around the reservoir, but only made it about 90% of the way. The trail/path wasn't quite complete around the entire reservoir. But I did get to off-road a bit with some minor rock crawling.

Reservoir.jpg