Going to Zion National Park, Need Recommendation for Off-road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it's been an unusually rainy summer, I can understand the delays. Concrete prices have gone up along with lumber (I just paid way too much to widen my driveway), but I imagine it won't be too bad for a big pad like you're doing.

I love your property by the way. I'm jealous.
Prices are indeed going up like crazy! Every facet has gone up in price like getting a well put in, installing a septic system, getting electricity to the property, and adding a propane tank system. And everyone is seeing the cost of lumber, steel, and concrete going up. Fortunately the price of the house has been locked in for some time now and we are mostly protected against these crazy prices. Once my workshop is up, I'll invite you over for a beer so you can get more jealous! :)

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lady Mountain is one of the great less-known summit hikes in Zion. I'll bet you owned it.
I actually didn't get to make the trip up Lady Mountain. My daughter and husband and their friends had been at Zion since 7/2. The parents weren't invited until 7/9. They didn't want us to slow them down. :) But the way they described the hike, I'm sure Lady Mountain would have owned me!! This particular pic was taken by one of their friends that made the hike up there. They carried their dress clothes in their backpacks and got dressed for the ceremony once they made it the summit. Crazy kids!!

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your Still in Zion eat at OSCARS great Mexican food and the rind are surprisingly delicious!
Not Johnson City TX good, but outstanding nonetheless;)
My son flew in/out of Vegas and his ride back to Vegas after Zion got messed up. So we ended up driving him to the airport on Monday and staying the night. We ate lunch at a place my son picked called Parsley Modern Mediterranean. I highly recommend it. Not much seating area but they have some great food. Come hungry, especially if you get one of their wraps!

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics. Zion is spectacular. Still one of my fondest memories I have had with my spouse. Went in a February one year and made last minute decision while there to hike the Narrows. Rented dry suits and put in the miles and effort while the water ran 124 cubic ft/sec in some places. She was game for trying it and adventurous in trusting me. A memory I'll never forget.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but can't help but to share just a few of the photos. (Temp was 28-degrees with the water around 34-deg)

ZionNarrows (8).JPG
ZionNarrows (28).JPG

ZionNarrows (38).JPG

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics. Zion is spectacular. Still one of my fondest memories I have had with my spouse. Went in a February one year and made last minute decision while there to hike the Narrows. Rented dry suits and put in the miles and effort while the water ran 124 cubic ft/sec in some places. She was game for trying it and adventurous in trusting me. A memory I'll never forget.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but can't help but to share just a few of the photos. (Temp was 28-degrees with the water around 34-deg)

View attachment 313041
View attachment 313042

View attachment 313043

Wow! That looks wild! I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the temps you mentioned. I much preferred the warmer air temps with cold water on your legs. And trying to walk through the water, you're apt to fall a few times and get your hands and head wet. I'd call in quits after about 5 minutes at those temps!! :) Looks like y'all had a blast! Most of the water levels we hiked through were ankle to knee deep. There were a few places where the water got up to our waist. Even in July that water is cold! But we never had the water flowing like your picture above. That looks intense.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! That looks wild! I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the temps you mentioned. I much preferred the warmer air temps with cold water on your legs. And trying to walk through the water, you're apt to fall a few times and get your hands and head wet. I'd call in quits after about 5 minutes at those temps!! :) Looks like y'all had a blast! Most of the water levels we hiked through were ankle to knee deep. There were a few places where the water got up to our waist. Even in July that water is cold! But we never had the water flowing like your picture above. That looks intense.

Coming back was easy in some places. Just floated on your back with your backpack as a headrest; let the river take you downstream. It was intense in some places. And other places were just tranquil.

ZionNarrows (24).JPGZionNarrows (13).JPG