Going to Zion National Park, Need Recommendation for Off-road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heading up to Zion National Park in early July. Unfortunately the trip is not for off-roading, but I think I will have at least half a day, if not a full day, for one good off-road trip. Would love some recommendations on the best trail for Raptors that have some great views and possibly overlooks.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Heading up to Zion National Park in early July. Unfortunately the trip is not for off-roading, but I think I will have at least half a day, if not a full day, for one good off-road trip. Would love some recommendations on the best trail for Raptors that have some great views and possibly overlooks.
See my Zion street fight, and Souther UT thread, I think I Recomended the Smith Mesa Rd in ****** or the Kolob Terrace Rd. Kolob is paved until you get to the Reservoir but is an OUTSTANDING drive with Endless photo ops.
PM me if you have any questions I can help you with ;)

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! We're staying in Springdale for this trip, although we'll be in St. George Washington for 1 night. I'll definitely look at your thread in detail and I'll also look for the trail recommendations you've made. Is the Wells book (Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 3rd Edition) good for the Zion area? I'll definitely PM you as we get closer for more tips and recommendations!! Thanks much!!

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Thanks! We're staying in Springdale for this trip, although we'll be in St. George Washington for 1 night. I'll definitely look at your thread in detail and I'll also look for the trail recommendations you've made. Is the Wells book (Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 3rd Edition) good for the Zion area? I'll definitely PM you as we get closer for more tips and recommendations!! Thanks much!!
I’m Old School I like to see the big picture and connect the dots on my route planing I love the Benchmark Recreation Maps. You can pick it up on Amazon. I have them for every state west of the Mississippi. It makes it really easy to plan and then use it in conjunction with your favorite NAV App. I have several references to them in the Navigation Thread.
when you get the map you will see the Smith Mesa Road such connects to the Kolob Terrace road.

Attachments

• 2C6E1EA3-C9B5-4B3F-A186-6D30108295BD.jpeg
    2C6E1EA3-C9B5-4B3F-A186-6D30108295BD.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it to St. George. Here is a shot of the temperature reading when we got to the hotel.

High Temp.jpg

The highest temp I saw heading to the hotel was 118 deg F. I'd say things are pretty warm here in southern Utah!!

Tomorrow morning I'm heading up to Kolob Terrace Rd to go see the scenery and check out the Kolob Resevoir. Might head down Smith Mesa Rd as well if we have time.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Made it to St. George. Here is a shot of the temperature reading when we got to the hotel.

View attachment 312593

The highest temp I saw heading to the hotel was 118 deg F. I'd say things are pretty warm here in southern Utah!!

Tomorrow morning I'm heading up to Kolob Terrace Rd to go see the scenery and check out the Kolob Resevoir. Might head down Smith Mesa Rd as well if we have time.
I rather see 115 in St. George than 100 in Houston. Just sayin' ...

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Gerald, when does construction start on your property? More specifically, when does the lumber start arriving? No reason...just curious.
It's been slow going. Rain has been delaying things. We finally had our pre-construction meeting with Tilson, so now the construction should start in a few weeks. The property is too wet right now for anyone to do anything. Separately from the house construction, I'm hoping to have the concrete foundation poured for my workshop by the end of July. We just need all this rain to stop!!

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rather see 115 in St. George than 100 in Houston. Just sayin' ...
I agree completely! The dry heat here is so much better than the humid heat we get in Houston! We actually ate dinner at MeMe's cafe in Springdale under a shade tree at about 6 pm. I believe the temperature was right at about 105 and it was completely bearable. There was a little breeze and it wasn't that bad at all.