GEN 2 GJ Motorsports Raptor 2017+ 3rd Brake Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegas7315101

Reaction score
I've got the same question! I actually just spun off another thread specifically on the install. Hopefully one of us will get an answer.

jsouth5

Reaction score
Just ordered this set up, cant wait till it comes in! Anyone have suggestions/tips on running the wires threw the cab from the light to the up lifters?

I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures and/or video, as I struggled to CONFIDENTLY determine how to do this before I got started on my install too. Important to note that I have no experience or skills running cabling inside of a vehicle...but this wasn't too bad.

My first recommendation is to get the factory service manual. It shows you how everything is put together. Specifically, in this case, where all of the clips are that hold on the trim inside the cab. Sure, you can get the trim off without it, but honing in and lifting right on the clips makes it a much easier job.

Second, I think you need a second pair of hands to get the cabling from the 3rd brake light into the cab/headliner. In my opinion, that is the hardest part of this install.

Third, I would buy a cheap set of trim removal tools. Having a few different sizes/shapes (and not trying to use a screwdriver or other tool) makes the job easier...even if this isn't required to do the job.

Fourth recommendation, don't pull the headliner down too far or you might mess up the adhesive and have a sagging headliner. From what I see online, re-adhesiving (that's not a word) the headliner to the roof is a pain in the ass.

I ran the antenna cable into the center console where I've got an iCom F5021 mounted on the center console mount I bought from PCI Race Radios. I'm powering the radio with a lighter adapter inside the console. Yes, I keep reading threads where radio people say not to pull power from a lighter socket but, frankly, I don't buy it. If you have a solid connection, you will get battery and ground. Perhaps I'm over simplifying that, but so far no issues.

The first thing I did was remove the trim down the passenger side of the cab. I routed my cables (both antenna and lights) from the opening for the 3rd brake light into the headliner, hugging the rear of the cab to the C pillar on the passenger side. Down the C pillar and then under the kickplates (if that's the proper term) to the final destination.

For the antenna cable to the console, I removed the trim from the back of the center console and routed the antenna cable under the carpet and the drilled a hole in the back of the console and inserted a rubber grommet. I cut the hole in the carpet as close as I could to the console so the trim would cover it when it was reinstalled. Getting the antenna cable under the carpet is a pain in the ass. I ended up using, of all things, a T-square to run under the carpeting to give my fishtape and cable something smooth to move across under the carpeting.

For the lights, I kept that wiring running under the kickplates up to under the glove box area where you will find the passthrough wires to the upfitter switches. #4, 5, and 6 are already in use so I wired these lights to #3. You can get ground from a screw/bolt in that area...just test to find it with a volt-ohm meter (multimeter, these days). Once you've connected under the passenger dash, simply cross-connect the wires under the hood. You will have 2 bundles of upfitter wiring. The first bundle is connected to the switches. The second bundle is simply the other end of the bundle you will find under the passenger side dash near the floor and door opening. Splice the proper wire from bundle 1 to bundle 2 and the associated upfitter switch inside the cab will now control your rear lights.

Finally, be very meticulous when mounting the fixture to the truck. I ran into 2 issues. The first is that I stripped one of the plastic nut inserts. My fix for that was to buy 2 sets (just in case) of the OEM inserts. I replaced the entire original set with a new set, just to be safe. The second issue is leakage. I believe the fixtures are now shipping with a different seal, but I allowed my seal to deform and sit awkwardly between the truck and the fixture. The result is that when we finally got a nice rain (I'm in AZ, and it was one of our famous downpours) water leaked into the headliner. If you install correctly, you shouldn't have an issue...I just did a poor job. But, I wanted to point this out to everyone so you don't run into the same problem.

I hope this helps one/some/any of you. The next time I do something challenging, I'll be sure to get photos or videos and share...please do the same...

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! Sorry I should have added that. The reds seem way dimmer than the ambers, but also only come in a spot pattern. So looking directly on (say at a traffic light), they would be quite blinding to a car behind you. The ambers would be rediculous.

So... I fixed it. I added a Skene IQ-275 pwm dimmer to the left and right red turn/brake lights. It was pretty easy. It only takes one of them because it has two separate inputs/outputs. Now, it runs the red lights at 10% power, until I turn on an upfitter, which then turns all 3 on, and changes the IQ-275 to 100% power. Super slick. I can draw a diagram if anyone wants to do it.

Yes please!

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just installed one of these today, took me roughly 1.5 hours? few questions
The hardware, screws/clips for mounting the 3rd brake light, how do you get the clips on? looks like i'd need some magic to get these to clip in? and scratching up the entire mounting hole area in the process.

Also did anyone else get the version where ground runs all the way up to the passenger foot well area? Looks like some minor changes and they want to ground it by the foot well now?
Asides from that, very nice 3rd brake light. Messaged GJMotor sports about my gasket not having any adhesion at some areas, but no response for over a week.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received one of the first ones. It didn’t originally come with the clips that you are referring to. He later shipped me some. I tried using them but went back to the stock plastic inserts and those have worked just fine.

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received one of the first ones. It didn’t originally come with the clips that you are referring to. He later shipped me some. I tried using them but went back to the stock plastic inserts and those have worked just fine.
Thanks! feeling more comfortable about how i have it mounted.
I'm the guy.. with the crooked license plate... lol