GJ Motorsports 3rd Brakelight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got mine installed tonight finally and lo and behold the cargo light portion does not work. The two outer lights work on my aux switch fine, the center light turns on in reverse and with the aux switch I have it tied into, and the 3 red lights turn on with the parking lights and brake lights operate correctly. I'll drop the headliner again and check that crimp that was mentioned earlier.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got a chance to pull the C-pillar trim and drop the headliner back down. Used the Power Probe to check and sure enough, no voltage at the connector. Stripped the plastic back off the end and found that the crimp hadn't gone into the wire. Cut the connector off, stripped the wire, and installed a new spade connector. Now working perfectly. Appreciate the heads up! Sounds like GJ needs to fix their harness as it's no an issue with LVJ, but GJ's end. I sent them an email describing the issue and that a handful of others were running into the exact same issue, so hopefully they get that fixed.

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Got a chance to pull the C-pillar trim and drop the headliner back down. Used the Power Probe to check and sure enough, no voltage at the connector. Stripped the plastic back off the end and found that the crimp hadn't gone into the wire. Cut the connector off, stripped the wire, and installed a new spade connector. Now working perfectly. Appreciate the heads up! Sounds like GJ needs to fix their harness as it's no an issue with LVJ, but GJ's end. I sent them an email describing the issue and that a handful of others were running into the exact same issue, so hopefully they get that fixed.

That's actually not an issue with GJ or LVJ, it's just how those crimps work. It's always recommended to strip some insulation off before using those crimps so that they make contact with the wire.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's actually not an issue with GJ or LVJ, it's just how those crimps work. It's always recommended to strip some insulation off before using those crimps so that they make contact with the wire.

Considering I've been an automotive tech as well as a shop owner for the last 16 years I know how a spade terminal works. I cannot say I have EVER seen someone install one without stripping the end first. These were not stripped on the ends, just crimped, so they are not making contact with the wire itself. Also, it IS an issue with GJ Motorsports considering we have half a dozen people here now with the SAME kit with the SAME issue. That's not a crimp issue, that's a build quality issue. Also, before you try and bash me, I'm currently wearing one of your t-shirts.

Dewback75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving this Gen1 focused thread. Looking to buy GJ Motorsports brake light soon. Scanning the threads for a buyers guide (benefits for the different light options and wiring harness) and install instructions but not having any luck. Anyone know of one out there? Or willing to play Q&A? Also, any deals going on right now?

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reviving this Gen1 focused thread. Looking to buy GJ Motorsports brake light soon. Scanning the threads for a buyers guide (benefits for the different light options and wiring harness) and install instructions but not having any luck. Anyone know of one out there? Or willing to play Q&A? Also, any deals going on right now?
I'm sure there's at least one if not a couple good Youtube videos covering the install. As far as lights, not sure, I think the general consensus was the S2 Pro is a little TOO bright but I went with them anyway (amber on each side and clear in the center, the clear is tied to the cargo light circuit and I put the ambers on Aux4 with a WigWagger to strobe them for dust lights). They are bright haha! But rarely can you have too much light...

Dewback75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thxs @BenBB for the quick reply. You may have mentioned in this thread, but what lens did you go with, why, and did they met your expectations? I was leaning toward Amber driving combo on the outside and a white work scene light, all sport, for the center.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure! I should have mentioned that, center clear I have work/scene, outside ambers I have driving/combo lenses. Definitely what I was expecting, bright is an understatement heh (the Pros WILL blind you!!!) and the cargo clear throws light really far and reasonably wide. I would definitely consider the Sport instead for the center (I don't need THAT much light jeez), but for the dust lights (amber) I like the Pro to be seen through dust even if they are painfully bright to others.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought one as well and i went with the white work/scene in the middle and amber wide cornering on the sides. I just bought the standard harness and wired the center light to the cargo circuit and the sides to my uplifter 3. Pretty simple install if you have some basic understanding of 12v systems. I had an aftermarket brake light before and it was hard wired so i don't remember what the stock wires look like but it should be pretty simple. One thing i did notice is that it doesn't seal perfectly against the body so after install i ran a bead of RTV around the edges to keep the water out.