GJ Motorsports 3rd Brake Light Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, those factory upfitter bundles are all like that and are all a PITA to reach easily. No different than the Gen1s. If they just added an extra 6 inches of wire, life would be nicer. I had an F350 with upfitter switches and they were also a PITA to access.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, those factory upfitter bundles are all like that and are all a PITA to reach easily. No different than the Gen1s. If they just added an extra 6 inches of wire, life would be nicer. I had an F350 with upfitter switches and they were also a PITA to access.

Not surprised. This is the classic mechanic’s complaint. Why didn’t the engineers design this #@&*%!? to be accessible!!!! The answer is, and will always remain the same: because the guy who designs it doesn’t work on it.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A couple of notes on the install, for those who haven’t done it. Although installing it is fairly self-explanatory, the GJ instructions are total shit. They add absolutely nothing to the mix and are entirely unhelpful. No tips, no photos of parts, no advice about routing the wires, getting the panels off, using the hardware, or anything else. Garbage.

@Kmandoske ^^

As for the kit itself, the light is beautiful, and I love it. However, I saw no way to use the metal clips that would not have scratched the crap out of my paint, and probably ultimately resulted in failure anyway due to the lip that is formed around the brake light hole. So, like others, I just re-used the plastic anchors. Hopefully they will hold. I applied lots of pressure on the light to snug it firmly up to the cab while I carefully tightened the screws. I was very concerned about stripping them and I didn’t want to increase the chances of that by relying on the bolts to snug the light up to the cab. Hopefully I won’t have any water intrusion. This is another criticism I have of the kit: they should include a set of plastic or metal anchors that are actually usable!

The provided clips are not the best but they are fully functional, you just need to spread them a little as you are installing them. If you are worried about the paint place a little electrical tape around the opening before installing. We have had no reports of the provided clips failing. The plastic clips are fine for the most part if you don't have the antenna mount, if you do we really recommend installing the provided clips.

I don’t understand why the basic harness doesn’t have a ground wired into the plug for the yellow “extra” wire. Seriously WTF? So I had to cut the plug off (good luck freeing the unused pin to attach a ground wire to it—why don’t they leave it separate from the plug so you can actually use it and then pop it in place??? It does no one any good to install an empty pin that is virtually impossible to remove!). I spliced in a ground and just soldered the yellow wire to the white center to run it from Upfitter 4.

There should have been a ground in this connector, I wish you had reached out to us as we would have replaced the harness for you. @Kmandoske QA problem here!!

Finally, I would not order from GJ direct again. It took forever to get the light from them, and they screwed up the order. I wanted the antenna mount and mine didn’t come with it. I’d get it from one of the forum vendors here who has what you want in stock.

As far as your antenna mount, it was added after the fact manually and unfortunately this did not make it onto the build sheet for your light, we will be refunding the antenna mount as you requested. Typically we have a build queue of about 15-20 units, this is why we state on the website that it typically takes 2 weeks to ship orders.

I have written and sent emails directly to TJ with the issue.

We will be shipping you a replacement for the failed LED, they are easily replaced, please check your email and confirm your shipping address.

I didn’t say the harness has no ground. I said the plug attached to the yellow “extra” wire “for future use” doesn’t have a ground on it (rendering it useless as is), but yet, does have the unused pin for the ground installed in the plug (rendering the plug itself useless). I had to cut the plug off so I could splice a ground wire for use with the yellow wire, which I am using to run my center from an Upfitter switch.

Again this should not have been the case, please reach out if you would like the harness replaced.

Not surprised. This is the classic mechanic’s complaint. Why didn’t the engineers design this #@&*%!? to be accessible!!!! The answer is, and will always remain the same: because the guy who designs it doesn’t work on it.

Actually the answer is that an extra 2 feet of wire times 23k trucks a year adds up in cost quickly, it's always about cost and profit.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was gonna write a comment about "if they only added an extra 6 inches" but im gonna refrain :)

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@t_j , it actually makes me feel better knowing that the harness is not supposed to be that way. I was very puzzled as to why it would be.

I would have preferred not to cut, splice and solder the harness, but it’s done and installed at this point, and I would have to yank everything out and do it over again, which is not worth it to me.

Everyone should know that @t_j has offered to make the antenna mount right for me, free of charge, so thanks for that. I’m going to the desert this weekend and I needed the chase lights installed, so I didn’t want to wait. Maybe after this weekend is behind me, I’ll find the motivation to send it back to you and reinstall everything with the antenna mount and a new harness. How long would it take you to turn it around? Now that I have it installed, it will be painful to see the stock light back on there, lol.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

bunkisland

Reaction score