Give me some insight on GEN2 reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D11gnccer

Reaction score
This is a recall on the 1.5 eco to run the auxiliary coolant pump for a period of time after shut down. Supposedly they had a bad batch of blocks that were eating coolant.

Correct. Many of the 1.5’s were cracking around 25,000 miles. Not sure if it was a bad batch or them simply running the engine lean and hot?

It’s a smooth little mill and I enjoy driving it. I had purchased it as my second vehicle when I had a mustang.

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went round and round about an extended warranty because as most have indicated here, it’s rarely needed with regular preventative maintenance, however with that being said, I elected to go with a Floodford plan.
It was cheaper than the Ford extended plan and is valid at any authorized Ford Dealership.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never buy extended warranties until my 3/36 is about to expire. Sometimes I don't keep my vehicles more than 3 yrs. With all the electronics in the Raptor, especially the Scumroof, the extended warranty will definitely be in my future. It doesn't cost much more if you wait till your basic is almost at the end. Definitely go for Ford ESP and get the Platinum.

RSBUG......unless I'm mistaken, the plans sold by Flood are Ford ESP plans.

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought my 18' Raptor from a nearby dealer with 20K on it. Previous/original owner had the Ford Platinum coverage he carried over to his new F350 he traded the Raptor for. Service manager told me the guy has a fleet of Ford trucks, is a perfectionist and is a true believer in the plan.
With the 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 on drivetrain I think a plan at 36K is a good call, especially for me who keeps Trucks forever. Time will tell how Fords new Raptors look next to mine in 10yrs...:)

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a Ford Warranty from Ziegler or Flood Ford. Don’t buy from a third party...

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correct. Many of the 1.5’s were cracking around 25,000 miles. Not sure if it was a bad batch or them simply running the engine lean and hot?

It’s a smooth little mill and I enjoy driving it. I had purchased it as my second vehicle when I had a mustang.

The 1.6 that came before it also had a lot of issues initially. Seems the smaller EB engines are being pushed harder than they can be, reliably. I too have an Escape but with the 2.0EB. 114K on the clock and it's been trouble free and they have not been gentle miles either.

Tim Yarnell

Reaction score
NEVER get a third party service contract! Never! Other Ford dealers are absolutely not required to accept them - and they routinely don't - unless they're prepaid - and that's a big hassle.

Ask for the “Ford Protect Premium Care” plan - which is tracked electronically in Ford's OASIS system- OR as an alternative, literally self-insure and sock away $3,000 in a separate "do not touch" account. I went with the Ford plan as Raptors are very expensive high tech machines - and included it in my low cost loan.

Just a little more relevant detail follows:

I bought a 6 year /100,000 mile plan (from the warranty start date) for roughly $2,500. These days, an average Repair Order for a retail repair is $300 to $450 per HOUR ($150 labor rate + $300 for parts). Just an average Retail Order. The Ford Protect plan should pay for itself - especially on a high performance race truck.

One other option to consider that is much less known is the Ford Premium Care Protection Plan. It covers literally all required vehicle maintenance - as described in the owner's manual PLUS belts, hoses, wiper blades, brake pads and SHOCKS! That's where the really big money is on the Raptor. Ask for the 5k interval plan. I also signed up for the 6/100 plan in total. Dealers make a lot more on retail customer pay or their own in house service plans - so they don't push Ford's factory maintenance plan.

DON'T BUY either plan if you just don't keep your trucks! Also, you can wait 3/36 to buy the Preimium Care coverage - but the prices do go up.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I talked to a Ford Tech about the issue and he was under the impression the block was changed some time in 17 I think and while some had coolant issues right away others were fine. We have one of these in our fleet of cars also

Don N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the extended warranty from Flood pretty consistent in price, or how are people negotiating with them to get a lower price? I've seen anywhere from $2400 to $1600 that was mentioned here in this thread.

I've never bought a warranty for any car before, but honestly, for around $2k and considering the amount of posts I see about cam phaser issues occurring, it's almost a no brainer to me. Seems like no year and no amount of milage is safe from cam phaser issues.