Getting stuck - and what to do about it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Inevitably, while off-roading, we will find ourselves in situations where we have lost all forward and backward movement. It can happen in rocky terrain, a tight trail, snow or ice, and my favourite - mud. Getting stuck is the major reason you don't want to wheel alone. Getting unstuck can be fun, but can also present a long, arduous task consuming lots of fuel, energy, and expletives. Hopefuly this thread will lessen the pain, and the sharing of others experiences will be of benefit to us all when experiencing this situation. Embrace it - getting stuck is all part of the 4 wheeling experience!

Overview/Description
Loss of forward or backward movement. Generally caused by a lack of traction, hanging wheels in the air, but most frequently - getting into a situation where your front skidplate and rear differential are "plowing" hard ground, and not allowing the tires to gain enough of a hold to move you. Also defined as being 'high-centered'.

Tips/Tricks, Do's/Don'ts
  1. Having a winch equipped is the easiest way to get out of a difficult situation. Their operation is fairly straightforward and I won't get into it, other than to say if a front trailer hitch receiver is equipped - a winch can be installed on a hitch, allowing you to use it to pull you forward or backward. The benefits and versitility of this are awesome,
  2. For the rest of us - an essential piece of equipment for offroading is a tow strap. Not a chain, a nylon (or whatever composite available) strap. I use a 2.5" wide nylon strap rated for 30,000 lbs. It has a simple loop at both ends - easily fitting over tow hooks on most vehicles. Raptor tow hooks are closed, so you may want to use a clevis (minimum 9/16", or the general thickness of your tow hook diameter). A second strap incorporating hooks is also a good investment, as not all vehicles have tow-hooks and sometimes you need to get creative.
  3. When pulling someone out, I feed the open loop strap through my trailer hitch, and hang the loop over the hitch reciever - to ensure I have a positive connection that couples the hitch, and won't fall off if repeated tugs are required. (pic tomorrow when I have daylight...)
  4. Straps are preferred over chain or cables because they stretch while under load. When one vehicle is pulling another out, the initial stress of contact (when the strap goes tight) is softened for both vehicles, reducing damage. The secondary benefit is the 'elastic', or 'bungee' effect, which helps increase the pulling power (sure, there's a scientific term for it, but wth its 10:30pm and my brains fried)

Getting pulled out 'the way you came in' or forward to complete the trail - will be dictated by the conditions you find yourself in. If you are leader, and the trail is impassible - you're getting pulled back. Often, the trail is a sort of one-way deal, where there are no turn-around spots and you must force your way to the end.
  • In a leader situation, if you have to get pulled back - you may have to repeatedly try to get through the obstacle - then, also may have to pull others through it.

Fighting your way through
Trying a mudhole or other difficult situation requires some basic methodology.
First - try crawling through at a low speed and not letting the tires spin. If you feel you are losing traction or plowing ground - reverse back and try it again - this time with a little more momentum.
Second attempt - with a little more speed - keeping the wheel straight, and if you still lose momentum in the forward direction, stop and reverse back to where you can take a run at it. This should all be attempted in 2nd gear.
Third - if the first two approaches didnt get you through it, you may need to use more aggression. Faster momentum in the approach will be an asset, as well as using 3rd gear to get maximum wheelspin (in 4Low). When hitting the spot that had stopped your momentum, try turning the wheel to the right or left to have the lug on the tires connect with fresh ground (or ruts) - with the independant front suspension, Raptors can sometimes get through deep crap that solid axle vehiclles can`t.

The following video depicts a driver using these methods in a difficult situation - note the forward/backward shifting to keep momentum:
YouTube - 4runner bogged but not stuck in mud

Note, that in extreme conditions such as this, you should be in Offroad mode, rear differential locked, and have all traction control disabled. You want the truck raw, as it was made to perform - without the yuppie (oh, I lost traction so cut the power to the wheels and use electronic ABS to slow me down) (can you tell I hate traction control...).

Using a combination of those approaches should get the Raptor through most things, but, if it doesn`t, then you will need assistance from either a winch or getting a tug.

Getting a tug
Aside from having a solid connection with the `tuggin`vehicle with a strap that won`t break - the single most important item to remember is wheelspin. (I will post some vids here later to describe what to do, and what not to do).

When being pulled out by another truck, it is absolutely imperative that your wheels are moving prior to the strap forming tension. Get on the gas before the strap gets tight, as it will assist in the movement of both vehicles. No need to hit 9,000 RPM, just get the tires in motion and it will make the pull out a lot easier on both vehicles, resulting in fewer tugs. Having the wheel in the centered position (stick yer head out the window again - preferably before the mud starts flying) will help reduce drag as well.

Use the tow hooks attached to the frame - if you don`t, a similar video may be taken of your truck. This Grand Cherokee was in a bad spot - any guesses as to which way would have been better...The steep angle on the forward approach may have not been the best idea as he found out... My favourite parts of this one are 1:57 `pull that wheel to the right`, and 2:08 - `Damn dude`

YouTube - How "NOT" to pull a truck out of the mud (FULL CLIP)

This video (there are hundreds on Youtube) shows a pretty good tug session (although they needed the winch at the end). If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-WnBmzIJ1k&feature=related

Years ago I pulled a buddies 78 F150 out of a creek with my Samurai. His truck weighed 6800 lbs and mine clocked in at just under 2000 with 180lbs of me in the front seat. It took over an hour, but inch by inch we made it out of a 4' embankment. Size does matter, but if you can get any movement and have both trucks spinning their wheels - seemingly impossible situations can be overcome.

Last edited:

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, good to read.

What's everyone using for recovery straps, i.e., what brand and/or where'd you pick them up? Would prefer something made in first-world country.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, good to read.

What's everyone using for recovery straps, i.e., what brand and/or where'd you pick them up? Would prefer something made in first-world country.

Mine are from Canadian Tire - a Walmart competitor here in Canada. Straps are expendible, so my advice would be to get something you can afford from a local auto parts distributer. As years of mud and dirt packs into the fibers - even the most expensive ones wear and eventually break. The strap I bought cost $30 vs. a $99 one at a 4Wheel specialty shop.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bravo Sir.
Very well written and informative write up JP7.

Here in the desert, winches are rarely used for anything beyond looks as there is rarely anything strong enough available to connect to other than another vehicle.

JP7 is right though. If you're gonna do serious offroading in anything remotely soft -be it sand, mud, or snow- a tow strap is an essential item for any rig that calls itself an offroader. I carry shackles and a big thick strap (don't remember the exact load rating, but it works) under the center of my backseat at all times.

Ultimately, you never wanna be that ******* who's stranded offroad asking another rig for a pull and then you don't even have the proper equipment. :nono:

Banned
Reaction score
Awesome writeup. Tow straps are in all our vehicles, even our minivan, livin in rural areas it's needed with our winters.

Thanks for the good read jp7

Batman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What an awesome write up!!!!!!! Exactly what I needed to read before I go out on this RailRoad job we just started.

I was wondering mainly about the off road mode and traction control. My F-250 work truck is just tooooo heavy. I am goin to take the Raptor out there and show them boys what a Raptor can do.

I have been off road minorly. I can not have mine stay a street queen like someone elses on here. (cough cough.......Bird.....cough cough)

Have you seen any problems with your Raptor being in the mud alot? Brakes getting ate up, CV boots goin bad???? I have some ppl say....oh its a desert truck, no mud, and then some ppl say, this is the best vehicle for offroad period. Well I am in the south, so it is mud here. LOL!!!!!

Great write up!!!!!!! Especially for 10PM

Banned
Reaction score
The tires wouldn't be to great for mud but other then that it should be fine

Batman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went out to the job and did not drive in too too far and left it in 2wd. I got to a point where I just stopped, talked to the superintendent for Browning Construction and then turned around. I had to engage 4wd (for the first time) just to pull out about 3 feet. It did good, but if I am goin to do that all the time, yes, it needs mud tires.