Getting ready for winter

Discussion in '2011 Ford SVT Raptor Forum (Reply Only)' started by mprice1234, Aug 6, 2011.

1. mprice1234

mprice1234 Full Access Member

Yeah it's getting close to that time where we need to start getting ready for old man winter. In Colorado the snow can start as early as September and people are always finding themselves in the ditch! So I picked up a couple of must have items for my Raptor to use when she will be rescuing the unfortunate. I got a 3"x30'x 30,000 lb. Smitty Built recovery strap from Outlawraptor.com (an FRF vender) for $27 + $10 shipping, cheaper then anywhere else I could find and really well made! Also a new item from Bully, a Cinch Bone that I got from Realtruck.com that was $19.95 but had a $20.00 coupon and free shipping so it cost nothing! The cinch bone makes it so you don't need a shackle with the recovery strap and protects the strap from knotting or cutting.

Attached Files:

2. BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN Birdministrator Staff Member

I will not discuss winter yet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

3. Raptoyd11

Raptoyd11 Full Access Member

Me neither, fall is the best time of year in the Midwest.

4. AVALANCHE

AVALANCHE FRF Addict

Ahhhhh young grasshopper I see.

5. RATS

RATS Full Access Member

my raptor is ready for winter 4 mag and 4 stud tire and all the strap.some year the winter start at october.:)

6. 408RCLB

408RCLB Full Access Member

Hook us up with the coupon dude :waytogo:
    Im always pullin out stranded chevy's so that'd be nice to have... :ROFLJest:

7. JP7

JP7 Likes Canadian Mudbaths

My standard running gear has 3 straps of different lengths, shackles (different sizes), and a pretty comprehensive set of tools. Summer or winter - the shit just comes in handy.

Someone else started a winter thread (in August!) and something to add to the list is to have your Raptor underbody oiled to repel salt. A generous application of petroleum jelly to the aluminum rims will also prevent corrosion and washes off in spring with hot water.

8. LVdezertdawg

LVdezertdawg Full Access Member

Winter??????? What dat????

9. CineSLR

CineSLR Roaming Shutterbug

Honestly dude, I wouldn't touch that cinch bone with a 10ft pole... looks like nothing more than a projectile... Using tow straps is a lot more serious than people think. One thing to come loose and that thing turns into a lethal projectile. The driver of this truck died because they used a shackle to link two straps together. One strap broke and sent the shackle through the cab striking the driver in the head. All metal involved in tow straps should be connected to the frame/tow package (NO bumpers).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 6.2

6.2 Banned

Damn. That's crazy. I've seen very similar things happen, a semi with a load of bails was halfway in the ditch, hooked an f450 up to it with chain (dumbasses I know) of course the chain broke, big surprise, 3 links snapped and hit a guy in the leg and back. He was very lucky.

On a less serious note, **** ya! Can't wait till winter!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.897818,-97.260029
    -
    -Posted with my iPhone.