Getting paint splatter off of running boards...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cochvswild

Reaction score
So just did my very first road trip in my new 2018 SCAB (now 1800 miles) through the CA Sierras. Somewhere along the way, they had just repainted the white road lines without giving any kind of warning. I didn’t notice it until getting home, but luckily the splatter was limited to the wheel wells and the running boards.

I managed to scrape the white splatter off of the wheel wells, but haven’t been able to get it off the coarse metal of the boards.

Anyone have experience in deep cleaning the running boards? Thanks in advance.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did the same thing a long time ago. i used a pressure washer on my runningh boards. be careful though, too much pressure can strip the non slip surface, but it can handle quite a bit of pressure

Roy Esslinger

Reaction score
Take a picture and make the highway dept. pay for it like I did, they were spraying trees with brush killer and my whole truck got misted and it stained the paint so bad that they painted the whole truck

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not going to come off unless it's mechanically abraded away. Traffic paint is very durable. If there was a chemical that would remove traffic paint, the person selling it would be incredibly rich. Grinding off old/unwanted traffic lines is not desirable due to the ghost lines left behind and pavement damage, but nobody has come up with anything else that will remove it.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray it with WD40, a couple/few times, let it sit couple hours and a pressure washer. I'd try that first, before anything more evasive.