General Grabbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onepremiere

Reaction score
I've just skimmed this thread but what I can tell you about BFGoodrich tires is they are soft, and they chunk. Especially after any off-road use. That is just the way it is, that is why they have lead the off-road industry for so long. The tires work.

As for the Generals. Up until recently I have only has experience with the RACE non-street legal General Grabbers. The are a tough tire, and the wear was even on a daily driven vehicle. The only problem was the noise. They were loud.

Recently General has released the DOT Version, street legal! The Red Labels are only on 1 side of the tire, they are also a lot quieter. This is thanks to different compounds.

The tire is heavy. I loaded some DOT Grabbers (285/75/16) into my truck, and noticed the weight was significant for that size tire.

Other than that, we race on those tires are they are great.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just skimmed this thread but what I can tell you about BFGoodrich tires is they are soft, and they chunk. Especially after any off-road use. That is just the way it is, that is why they have lead the off-road industry for so long. The tires work.

As for the Generals. Up until recently I have only has experience with the RACE non-street legal General Grabbers. The are a tough tire, and the wear was even on a daily driven vehicle. The only problem was the noise. They were loud.

Recently General has released the DOT Version, street legal! The Red Labels are only on 1 side of the tire, they are also a lot quieter. This is thanks to different compounds.

The tire is heavy. I loaded some DOT Grabbers (285/75/16) into my truck, and noticed the weight was significant for that size tire.

Other than that, we race on those tires are they are great.

Would you run the DOT Grabbers on your personal truck?

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so on the highway how do these compare to the BFG's in terms of road noise? any extra sensitivity when rolling over small stuff? ( I noticed when I added 3 ply BFG's on my Tundra I could feel every little pebble in the road).

I'm thinking these OEM BFG's are a different level than the ones you pay $300 each for at Discount Tire.... I usually get 50k on BFG's like these, and I keep seeing these OEM BFG's getting worn down pretty quickly..

I purchased a $1700 set of Goodyear MT/R Kevlars for my F250 and I literally lost HALF the tread within 8,000 miles.... Goodyear actually bought them back from me... they were loud, hard and rough.

So, any input that could shed light on these Grabber Red Letters would help, I'd hate to go thru all the trouble and have an MT/R on my hands again... lol

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The RL Grabbers are only slightly louder than the factory BFGs. They are quieter than the Toyo MTs and the Trail Grapplers, if you have ever heard them from inside a truck.

I run mine at 40 psi and they are very smooth with a very mild hum at freeway speeds. I have not noticed extra sensitivity to small stuff, but I drove with Toyo MTs for two years on my last truck.

TXRaptor

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The RL Grabbers are only slightly louder than the factory BFGs. They are quieter than the Toyo MTs and the Trail Grapplers, if you have ever heard them from inside a truck.

I run mine at 40 psi and they are very smooth with a very mild hum at freeway speeds. I have not noticed extra sensitivity to small stuff, but I drove with Toyo MTs for two years on my last truck.

TXRaptor

Welcome TXRaptor.

I agree with everything you've said. The Grabbers run pretty nice on the road for an offroad tire, not much rougher/louder than stock. I do notice the added weight of the Grabbers (even from the driver's seat). My only minor complaint on them is that my red letters seem to be fading a bit pinkish. A guy at my local 4 Wheel Parts said he thought he'd heard something about General releasing a touch up paint to some customers for this issue, but he has been unable to verify that for me thus far.

MXrider38

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome TXRaptor.

I agree with everything you've said. The Grabbers run pretty nice on the road for an offroad tire, not much rougher/louder than stock. I do notice the added weight of the Grabbers (even from the driver's seat). My only minor complaint on them is that my red letters seem to be fading a bit pinkish. A guy at my local 4 Wheel Parts said he thought he'd heard something about General releasing a touch up paint to some customers for this issue, but he has been unable to verify that for me thus far.

Mine are a little pinkish too. Can't imagine there being touch up. That would be a bitch. One of mine the glue from the clear protector is just refusing to come off too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are a little pinkish too. Can't imagine there being touch up. That would be a bitch. One of mine the glue from the clear protector is just refusing to come off too.

Yeah, I was surprised when he said it, but he wasn't able to give me anything concrete.... So until we hear otherwise, it's nothing more than a rumor as far as I'm concerned. If they did release it, I'd use it.... I'd definitely like mine to be more red, even if I ended up painting over the white outline too.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, the GT website "warns" you the red will fade and not to wash it with a brush, shit like that..... idk, thats the coolest part of the tire... if it didn't have those red letters, I would just buy bigger BFG's...

and you can FIND BFG's....