Gen3 Towing capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodyray72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned an 18 F250 screw 4x4 diesel for a year or two and can confirm they ride like dump trucks. Always wanted one, but not fun to drive. Only way I would get one now is if I needed to pull heavy 50% of my driving.
Exactamundo.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I owned an 18 F250 screw 4x4 diesel for a year or two and can confirm they ride like dump trucks. Always wanted one, but not fun to drive. Only way I would get one now is if I needed to pull heavy 50% of my driving.

I drove a lifted F350 diesel for YEARS before the Raptor. Didn't need it for my boat, but I enjoyed the truck. Honestly, wish I still had it. So really just comes down to personal preference.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my new boat and it toes done. Squats a little but I bet if I had an equalizer hitch, it wouldn’t. Power and braking is there, tow mirrors would be nice.
Nice setup! You definitely have more squat than I do with my boat, but you also have about 1200lbs more weight than I do. Unfortunately, I don't think you can use a WDH with your trailer. I am guessing you have both surge brakes and a swinging tongue on the trailer and WDH's don't work with either. My boat stays in the lake in the summer so I only tow it a couple times a year which is why the Timbrens will work perfect for me. I know guys towing heavier boats than that with Raptors and have no complaints with towing a boat with a Raptor.

OP
OP
ben2k9

ben2k9

Reaction score
Don’t listen to most of these guys. With a WDH @6k dry you will be fine. Raptor tows great and super dootys are great too but they’re boring as hell and ride like dump trucks imo.
According to the books the Raptor can tow 8,200 lbs loaded trailer. I worked through the math and came to the conclusion I'd be good as well. The naysayers didn't present any math to support their opinion.

Kotykb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you install airbags in the rear when towing a heavy trailer to level it out?

98Craig

Reaction score
I will be towing a 23 MXZ Malibu. Anyone towing with a Gen 3 currently have info on either airlifter bags or bump stops for gen 3? I don't have my raptor yet (2-7) but called a few shops and they haven't seen anything that wouldn't be pure custom. I think the airlifter bags would be a perfect option if they would work. I've had bags, bump stops, and heavy duty leaf springs (obviously not an option) and for best ride and reducing squat I like bags the best.

98Craig

Reaction score
Can you install airbags in the rear when towing a heavy trailer to level it out?
Certainly on other F150s. I have a lifted platinum that has them now. It runs 5psi when not towing and about 45psi when towing and it's perfectly level. Not sure about the new rear end though. Think you may loose some travel but not sure how much... Ride quality, I think, should stay the same. Someone else may know more, but I think Rams have air bags as an option with similar rear end.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Certainly on other F150s. I have a lifted platinum that has them now. It runs 5psi when not towing and about 45psi when towing and it's perfectly level. Not sure about the new rear end though. Think you may loose some travel but not sure how much... Ride quality, I think, should stay the same. Someone else may know more, but I think Rams have air bags as an option with similar rear end.
They do. I think they have it all 4 corners.

That being said….just like gen2 guys jumping on crappy perch collars initially only to find out within a year or 2 much better options. There will be stiffer aftermarket coil springs you’ll be able to swap out - I’m sure of it.

I think air bags would be a good option though if not towing regularly.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be towing a 23 MXZ Malibu. Anyone towing with a Gen 3 currently have info on either airlifter bags or bump stops for gen 3? I don't have my raptor yet (2-7) but called a few shops and they haven't seen anything that wouldn't be pure custom. I think the airlifter bags would be a perfect option if they would work. I've had bags, bump stops, and heavy duty leaf springs (obviously not an option) and for best ride and reducing squat I like bags the best.
Here's one of my replies from another towing thread. On the Malibucrew forum, there are guys towing their boats with the Raptor and using Timbrens. Air Lift bags worked on the Gen 2's but not sure if they work on the Gen 3 yet. If they do work for the Gen 3, the bags will be even better than the Timbren Bump stops.

I towed my 6000 lbs boat with my truck and did not have any issues. The back end dropped a couple of inches, which is partially why there is the rake in trucks, but it wasn't that noticeable. I bought Timbren SES bump stops, but they did not fit correctly so they did not make a difference. I reached out to Timbren and they sent me a new bracket that should be better. I haven't used it yet and won't until I get my boat out in the spring. Even without the Timbrens, the truck did fine. The Timbrens should help improve the sag. I can't use a weight distribution hitch with my boat because it has both a swinging tongue and surge brakes. You should be able to use one with that snowmobile trailer though. A weight distribution hitch would help you, but with only a 4500 lbs trailer, I don't think it is totally necessary.

View attachment 336336

savela

Reaction score
At 6k, you should be fine. I had no issue with these railroad ties. 1500lb trailer. I haul my subcompact tractor and a diesel UTV - no issues. Slight squat but my springs have 80k miles. I notice my transmission temp inch up now and again but only slightly. Plenty of torque and enough power. Fully loaded I'm in the 6k neighborhood.

Attachments

• IMG_5528.JPEG
    IMG_5528.JPEG
    323.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4543.JPEG
    IMG_4543.JPEG
    375.8 KB · Views: 100