Gen3 Spod BantamX Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Spod 4x4 Bantamx in my truck today. I am wanting to use the factory upfitter switches to control my lighting but the low amperage is very limiting. I didn’t want to install individual relays and also wanted options such as strobing and dimming functions. The Spod has 8 input triggers that will allow me to use the factory upfitters as triggers for the different circuits. I can also group circuits together so that 1 switch can turn on multiple lights.

I didn’t find any other posts on here showing this type of setup in these trucks. So hopefully this might help someone in the future.

I fabricated my own bracket for the bantam in the engine bay. The best spot I found to mount it was on the drivers side. I didn’t want to block access to the factory fuse box on the passenger side. The bracket is made from 304 1/8” stainless and then painted with steel-it.

I ran the wiring across the top of the firewall and then ran my switch cable through the passenger side grommet that isn’t being used. Very easy to run cables and only mildly hard to access from the top of the engine bay. Not easy but not hard.

I mounted the Spod controller in the glove box. It’s required for the system to operate and also gives me more switching/ programming options should I need it. It’s hidden but still easily accessible from the drivers seat.

On a side note, I tried installing the SDHQ ditch light brackets. Ran into multiple issues and wasn’t happy with how they mount. Took them off and will call them tomorrow. Might have to return them and try the SPV parts heavy duty brackets.

Anyway, questions are welcome. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• A0318CF0-276B-4926-82D2-2735440FFF5F.jpeg
    A0318CF0-276B-4926-82D2-2735440FFF5F.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 8383AA2B-4F70-4FEA-880E-883DE7AB8858.jpeg
    8383AA2B-4F70-4FEA-880E-883DE7AB8858.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 133
  • A16A68E5-CB56-4FA7-8DEE-79D3CBD755C4.jpeg
    A16A68E5-CB56-4FA7-8DEE-79D3CBD755C4.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 138

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you say you weren’t happy with the brackets, what do you mean? Is it because they are touching the fender edge? I just had LP4s installed and same thing with those brackets. Supposedly because of complaints they redid the hardware which they will send you. Hopefully it helps. I’m waiting for it.

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say you weren’t happy with the brackets, what do you mean? Is it because they are touching the fender edge? I just had LP4s installed and same thing with those brackets. Supposedly because of complaints they redid the hardware which they will send you. Hopefully it helps. I’m waiting for it.
It’s probably because of my complaint that they redid the hardware. Yes, the hardware they were using originally pushed the bracket into the fender and was too small for the slots cut into the brackets. They sent me new hardware but I still wasn’t happy. Ended up sourcing my own hardware. The brackets seem sturdier than others I see out there, which is also what caused the clearance issue. My drivers side took a bit of time to get it to not touch the fender. Passenger side was not as hard and seemed to have more clearance.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same here. Passenger side has slightly more clearance. I can place a business card between bracket and fender on passenger side, not driver side.

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Passenger side has slightly more clearance. I can place a business card between bracket and fender on passenger side, not driver side.

I think I took it on and off more than a dozen times. Was finally able to get it to clear. Not as much clearance as I’d like though, I’m sure it will touch when it flexes.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I took it on and off more than a dozen times. Was finally able to get it to clear. Not as much clearance as I’d like though, I’m sure it will touch when it flexes.
I got helicopter tape, which I think is just PPF, to place in between.