GEN3 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TFL did a video with spy shots of the gen3 out testing a week or so ago.

Got this email today saying the TRX debut is finally scheduled for 8/17 so hopefully we will hear Fords answer about the Gen3 soon as well.

upload_2020-8-11_19-41-56.jpeg

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it pulled away from the parking spot, was the engine on?

I need to know if it's a hybrid or not. Because I'm praying to the pre-production gods that it's a plug-in hybrid.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I need to know if it's a hybrid or not. Because I'm praying to the pre-production gods that it's a plug-in hybrid.

I can't imagine they would make the Raptor plug-in while the other F150 trims are not.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping they do just to set it apart.
It's supposed to be their halo truck. Not an F150 trim.

Regardless of whether you consider it an F150 trim or not, it's shares parts and features wherever possible. And what the Raptor has beyond other trims is there for off road capability reasons. It's hard to argue that the Raptor is a better off road vehicle with a plug in hybrid added. Again, if they intended to have a plug in feature on the Raptor, I can't imagine why they wouldn't do the same for the F150 Limited or Platinum at a minimum.

I'm not saying that an offroad truck can't be plug in hybrid or electric, just that it doesn't benefit off road capability anymore than benefit's on road.

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score

hope you have lots of plugs out in the mud, desert, forest, mountains, etc.... cause that would take away from it being a true off road champ. you can't carry a charge in a bed mounted jerry can

Last edited:

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hope you have lots of plugs out in the mud, desert, forest, mountains, etc.... cause that would take away from it being a true off road champ. you can't carry a charge in bed mounted jerry cans
That's why I have no use for an Electric-only vehicle.

But a plug-in hybrid would be awesome.
  • Generally they have much larger batteries than regular hybrids...so more electric-only range OR you can save all that power for when you're out camping.
  • I live on the east coast so I don't get much opportunity for high-speed running. Sure, the Raptor's not the best suited for low-speed trail/rock crawling, but I like what I like. I'm giddy at the thought of instant, infinitely-variable torque from an electric motor.
  • Regenerative braking would make descending the mountains near me so much easier on brakes, and I get some energy back!
  • This is my daily. I have an 11 mile commute. If I had 30 miles of all electric range, I'd never, ever, use gasoline during the week. But I put 20k-25k miles on my truck a year...so obviously I road trip a lot, and I offroad a LOT. I still need and want a regular ICE.
I'm sure I sound like an evangelist, but this is what I've been wanting for soooo long. I have zero interest in electric-only vehicles. But blending both? Nothing but upside in my mind.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Hybrid would work for me. Home Depot and Costco are long trips during the week at 5 miles round trip.

But I need the range as I just got back from Wyoming Sunday and driving to Yuma and back today.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you consider it an F150 trim or not, it's shares parts and features wherever possible. And what the Raptor has beyond other trims is there for off road capability reasons. It's hard to argue that the Raptor is a better off road vehicle with a plug in hybrid added. Again, if they intended to have a plug in feature on the Raptor, I can't imagine why they wouldn't do the same for the F150 Limited or Platinum at a minimum.

I'm not saying that an offroad truck can't be plug in hybrid or electric, just that it doesn't benefit off road capability anymore than benefit's on road.

It could come out first on the Raptor and then the rest top tiers can get it a couple years later.