Gen3 Raptor vs TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I completely get why those who ordered would be ticked off about this, it is somewhat understandable. It's a halo vehicle, and part of the reason they are made is to pull in customers to the dealership, where the eventually buy something else. IMO, the smart thing to do would be to give every dealer, or most dealers, one TRX for demo purposes only. Customers can then get in line to order one if they want it or settle for something else on the lot if they don't want to wait. Once you've met the demand so that orders are being filled in 3 months time (or some other reasonable length of time) then you can start giving dealers inventory.

I was going to say that they should have just let ordering customers know up front that they would not have priority over dealer inventory...but that would just cause customers to reconsider their order.

And we don’t really know if dealers had orders in for their lot inventory, even before they let individuals custom order trucks. So who’s to say, who gets what first.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And we don’t really know if dealers had orders in for their lot inventory, even before they let individuals custom order trucks. So who’s to say, who gets what first.

Good point. But as a customer, I'd be pissed to see my neighbor pick up a truck from dealer inventory while I'm still waiting on my day 1 order.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's hard to look at how the TRX has been released and feel very comfortable. Forgetting to put shock bolts in and stripped/forgotten bolts in suspension components has nothing to do with first years model issues, it has everything to do with QC during the builds. Honestly, we know RAM will let vehicles hit the streets half put together in order to meet marketing hype so I have to think there are the same pressures put on the engineers of the trucks. What have the engineers let slip thru QC to meet demand or deadlines?

Good point. I did read that one engineer and maybe it was the lead engineer. But once his team got final go ahead to design the truck, it was at a fairly rushed pace and only over the course of several months time. They led into how the TRX name came about as well and how they quickly came up with it.

So while the prototypes were around for years, this truck sounded like it was rushed to market once the decision was made to sell it.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
While I completely get why those who ordered would be ticked off about this, it is somewhat understandable. It's a halo vehicle, and part of the reason they are made is to pull in customers to the dealership, where the eventually buy something else. IMO, the smart thing to do would be to give every dealer, or most dealers, one TRX for demo purposes only. Customers can then get in line to order one if they want it or settle for something else on the lot if they don't want to wait. Once you've met the demand so that orders are being filled in 3 months time (or some other reasonable length of time) then you can start giving dealers inventory.

I was going to say that they should have just let ordering customers know up front that they would not have priority over dealer inventory...but that would just cause customers to reconsider their order.
The demo truck isn't a bad idea other than cost of getting them to dealers for demo purposes only. Most dealers with TRXs on the lot won't let you test drive one unless you are actually going to buy the thing...

I think they could have been more upfront with people and told them that they were going to be doing X number of dealer inventory trucks for every X number of customer orders. That might have helped some. I think that some of what we are seeing is dealers that have order trucks for "customers" who were actually dealer employees (like GMs, sales managers, finance directors, etc.), and then when they arrive the customers are not taking the orders so now they are available for sale. Typically with an ADM. I don't begrudge the ADM, but more that customers are still waiting for trucks they got in line for over 8 months ago. Doesn't make people very happy.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. But as a customer, I'd be pissed to see my neighbor pick up a truck from dealer inventory while I'm still waiting on my day 1 order.

One thing to remember is that customers may have optioned their trucks with things that were delayed/unavailable from the suppliers. I remember seeing where certain things such as the beadlock type wheels were on back order through the supplier and causing truck delays. Dealers were telling people who ordered trucks about what was on back order, and what was not. This helped the consumer understand how soon they would get their truck.

I will say that the TRX QC issues are concerning. In my perspective, I am not buying any big ticket items that were built during COVID. All manufacturing was ravaged - from employees, to training, to suppliers, part availability, QC, etc.... To me, I am afraid that most things built during the pandemic are suspect due to all these things. Manufacturing in the COVID environment seems to be "just get it shipped". I have seen the quality of other things (non-automotive) really drop from COVID... makes me glad I just waited this thing out and am happy with my current situation. No changes for me.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The demo truck isn't a bad idea other than cost of getting them to dealers for demo purposes only. Most dealers with TRXs on the lot won't let you test drive one unless you are actually going to buy the thing...

That practice wouldn't have to change with a demo truck. And I wouldn't think the cost would be too big of a concern since you would be able to sell the demo truck, probably at MSRP, 6 months to a year later when supply changes up to demand. Just seems to me that you would sell more trucks if you always had a truck available for prospective drivers to actually see and touch.

I think they could have been more upfront with people and told them that they were going to be doing X number of dealer inventory trucks for every X number of customer orders. That might have helped some. I think that some of what we are seeing is dealers that have order trucks for "customers" who were actually dealer employees (like GMs, sales managers, finance directors, etc.), and then when they arrive the customers are not taking the orders so now they are available for sale. Typically with an ADM. I don't begrudge the ADM, but more that customers are still waiting for trucks they got in line for over 8 months ago. Doesn't make people very happy.

That's a good point. Didn't this happen with the Bronco, and Ford cracked down on the dealerships that did this?

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard to look at how the TRX has been released and feel very comfortable. Forgetting to put shock bolts in and stripped/forgotten bolts in suspension components has nothing to do with first years model issues, it has everything to do with QC during the builds. Honestly, we know RAM will let vehicles hit the streets half put together in order to meet marketing hype so I have to think there are the same pressures put on the engineers of the trucks. What have the engineers let slip thru QC to meet demand or deadlines?
FCA/Stellinas QC guidelines are as follows:

Once assembled, if it rolls off the assembly line in one piece, QC is complete. If a wheel falls off, review. :biggrin:

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That practice wouldn't have to change with a demo truck. And I wouldn't think the cost would be too big of a concern since you would be able to sell the demo truck, probably at MSRP, 6 months to a year later when supply changes up to demand. Just seems to me that you would sell more trucks if you always had a truck available for prospective drivers to actually see and touch.

That's a good point. Didn't this happen with the Bronco, and Ford cracked down on the dealerships that did this?
Why would Ford do that on the Bronco when they didn't on the GT500? I don't know the full ins and outs, but from what I've heard once Stellantis sells the truck to the dealer they don't have control what happens to it. Essentially the dealer buys the truck from Stellantis and then takes delivery (or something similar).

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would Ford do that on the Bronco when they didn't on the GT500? I don't know the full ins and outs, but from what I've heard once Stellantis sells the truck to the dealer they don't have control what happens to it. Essentially the dealer buys the truck from Stellantis and then takes delivery (or something similar).

My understanding is that customers could preorder the Bronco and then specify what dealer they wanted to buy from. A different process from going to the dealer directly and ordering through them. As a result, some dealership tried to game the system by getting employees and relatives/friends to put in preorders with no intention of actually owning the vehicles, but just to get inventory at the dealership faster. Obviously, this is not what Ford intended since it puts priority of dealer inventory over actual customers, and would only get worse of other dealers followed this plan.

I have no idea how orders for the GT500 went.