Gen3 Raptor vs TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like both trucks. I’m a vanilla guy, though. Don’t like flashy and gaudy.

Never liked any graphics packages for any Raptor other than having the flat black hood decals.

If I got a TRX I can’t see getting a bright color or the dual paint group. That leaves it to all black.

TRX looks meaner, new Raptor looks fit.

TRX wins hands down interior wise, Ford just can’t nail down the design and materials still.

scottnorm

Reaction score
TRX actually is a big truck. My Raptor is in the shop for a repaint, so I don't have any side by side comparison shots, but my TRX on 37s with stock suspension feels about like my Gen 2 with 40s and ADD suspension (in terms of height). The TRX doesn't look too much different than a Rebel, so that's my only negative on the TRX so far. That SC V8 is wicked though. One thing I've always lamented about my Gen 2 (besides the abhorrent shifting) is the not as impressive 50mph to 100mph+ sprint. It's quick, but it's not impressive. The TRX has that V8 pull from 50mph to 100mph+ that I was yearning for in the Raptor. I surprised a Panamera 4S yesterday on the freeway doing just that. He thought he would be cute and run away, but I had to actually let off the accelerator to keep from running up his butt! I hope the Raptor R is a fire breathing V8 with the dual clutch transmission. I'll get over that boring front end really quick if that's the case!
I'm obviously a Raptor owner, but my TRX should be arriving any day. There have been so many quality control issues on the TRX that I am second guessing. Can you give me your objective unvarnished opinion on the TRX v Raptor? Have you had any issues with the TRX?

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TRX actually is a big truck. My Raptor is in the shop for a repaint, so I don't have any side by side comparison shots, but my TRX on 37s with stock suspension feels about like my Gen 2 with 40s and ADD suspension (in terms of height). The TRX doesn't look too much different than a Rebel, so that's my only negative on the TRX so far. That SC V8 is wicked though. One thing I've always lamented about my Gen 2 (besides the abhorrent shifting) is the not as impressive 50mph to 100mph+ sprint. It's quick, but it's not impressive. The TRX has that V8 pull from 50mph to 100mph+ that I was yearning for in the Raptor. I surprised a Panamera 4S yesterday on the freeway doing just that. He thought he would be cute and run away, but I had to actually let off the accelerator to keep from running up his butt! I hope the Raptor R is a fire breathing V8 with the dual clutch transmission. I'll get over that boring front end really quick if that's the case!

lol@that V8 pull ....... dude that called more HP. Doesn’t make a difference if it’s a V8 or TTV6. If it were just because of a V8 the Gen 1 , rebel, trail boss .... hell even a tundra would have that 50mph -100+mph pull you are talking about

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
lol@that V8 pull ....... dude that called more HP. Doesn’t make a difference if it’s a V8 or TTV6. If it were just because of a V8 the Gen 1 , rebel, trail boss .... hell even a tundra would have that 50mph -100+mph pull you are talking about
Do Rebels, Trail Bosses, and Tundras have 400-500HP? That's an honest question as I have never looked at them. I had a Gen 1 with the Roush SC putting out essentially the same HP as my Gen 2. I had them both at the same time for about a year and half before selling the Gen 1. My Gen 2 was definitely faster from 0-60, but the Gen 1 had more pull from 50-100mph. Obviously the transmission has a lot to do with it as well as a torque numbers. I'm just relating my personal experience between the two.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm obviously a Raptor owner, but my TRX should be arriving any day. There have been so many quality control issues on the TRX that I am second guessing. Can you give me your objective unvarnished opinion on the TRX v Raptor? Have you had any issues with the TRX?
I've followed along on the numerous QC issues the TRX has been having, and I'm happy to report that so far there have been no mechanical issues that I've noticed. I've only had it a week though, and the unexpected snow in Houston had it parked for 4 of those days...

I have noticed a couple of electrical quirks, but haven't been able to have them reproduce yet to know if it was a one off thing, or something that will need to be addressed.
  1. The first couple of times I drove it while backing up slowly (like into a parking spot or my driveway) it did an automatic brake and the perimeter sensors flashed as though it was keeping you from backing into something. I'd forgive it on the parking spot one since I was getting fairly close to another car, but it did it in my driveway with nothing more than my garage door about 6' away, so not sure what caused it. It only did it twice within the first two days and hasn't done it since.
  2. I started messing around with the drive modes yesterday and had it in Sport for awhile. That turns off traction control, so I pushed the TC button and got that turned back on while keeping the other parameters of Sport (steering, suspension, transmission hold points, and I think one other item). I was driving for awhile and got fairly aggressive with it on the street, and when I looked down again at the instrument cluster I noticed a couple of amber lights lit up. One appeared to be for lane change assist, and the other was maybe for collision warning/avoidance. I assume those stopped working for some reason, but once I shut the truck off and turned it back on an hour later those lights were gone.
  3. I was once again playing around with drive modes yesterday evening and had it in Baja with TC on. The parameter for changing the steering setting had an orange exclamation point next to it with a note that said something along the lines of "can't change the steering function right now" or something to that effect. Not sure if that is because I was actually driving at the time, or if it was once again just a computer glitch.
I haven't had it long enough to tell if those are going to be repetitive and annoying issues, but I wasn't too concerned as sometimes new trucks are quirky for awhile and the issues go away on their own. So far I'm loving the truck. It's pretty bad a$$. Not sure I'd give up my highly modified Gen 2 Raptor for it, but it's definitely enjoyable to drive around. Once more aftermarket stuff becomes available I think the TRX platform will be fun to modify, and even more enjoyable to own. I had new tires and wheels on it within 47 miles of ownership, but there isn't a whole lot else you can do to them right now. There are bedcovers, amp steps, bed rugs, and soon to be released leveling kit and behind the grille light bar set ups. ADD finally got a TRX last week, so they are going to get to work on developing their products for it. Should be fun to see what they come up with.

scottnorm

Reaction score
I've followed along on the numerous QC issues the TRX has been having, and I'm happy to report that so far there have been no mechanical issues that I've noticed. I've only had it a week though, and the unexpected snow in Houston had it parked for 4 of those days...

I have noticed a couple of electrical quirks, but haven't been able to have them reproduce yet to know if it was a one off thing, or something that will need to be addressed.
  1. The first couple of times I drove it while backing up slowly (like into a parking spot or my driveway) it did an automatic brake and the perimeter sensors flashed as though it was keeping you from backing into something. I'd forgive it on the parking spot one since I was getting fairly close to another car, but it did it in my driveway with nothing more than my garage door about 6' away, so not sure what caused it. It only did it twice within the first two days and hasn't done it since.
  2. I started messing around with the drive modes yesterday and had it in Sport for awhile. That turns off traction control, so I pushed the TC button and got that turned back on while keeping the other parameters of Sport (steering, suspension, transmission hold points, and I think one other item). I was driving for awhile and got fairly aggressive with it on the street, and when I looked down again at the instrument cluster I noticed a couple of amber lights lit up. One appeared to be for lane change assist, and the other was maybe for collision warning/avoidance. I assume those stopped working for some reason, but once I shut the truck off and turned it back on an hour later those lights were gone.
  3. I was once again playing around with drive modes yesterday evening and had it in Baja with TC on. The parameter for changing the steering setting had an orange exclamation point next to it with a note that said something along the lines of "can't change the steering function right now" or something to that effect. Not sure if that is because I was actually driving at the time, or if it was once again just a computer glitch.
I haven't had it long enough to tell if those are going to be repetitive and annoying issues, but I wasn't too concerned as sometimes new trucks are quirky for awhile and the issues go away on their own. So far I'm loving the truck. It's pretty bad a$$. Not sure I'd give up my highly modified Gen 2 Raptor for it, but it's definitely enjoyable to drive around. Once more aftermarket stuff becomes available I think the TRX platform will be fun to modify, and even more enjoyable to own. I had new tires and wheels on it within 47 miles of ownership, but there isn't a whole lot else you can do to them right now. There are bedcovers, amp steps, bed rugs, and soon to be released leveling kit and behind the grille light bar set ups. ADD finally got a TRX last week, so they are going to get to work on developing their products for it. Should be fun to see what they come up with.
What a great response! THANK YOU. You touched on one of my musings. Would I be better off waiting for a GEN3 and taking it to Hennessy? My friend did that, and his truck is no joke. The fact that you are not sure whether you would trade your highly modified GEN2 for a TRX says a lot. I've never owned a Ram, and I have had zero issues with any of my Raptors, even the GEN2 that I ordered preproduction was perfect. BTW, I've heard of that backup issue from multiple places. Anyway, I'm still up in the air, but leaning towards just getting GEN3 with Hennessy pack. Thank you again for your thorough response, and please let me know if you have any other issues. My TRX is built and getting loaded on transport to TX now, so I still have a few days.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What a great response! THANK YOU. You touched on one of my musings. Would I be better off waiting for a GEN3 and taking it to Hennessy? My friend did that, and his truck is no joke. The fact that you are not sure whether you would trade your highly modified GEN2 for a TRX says a lot. I've never owned a Ram, and I have had zero issues with any of my Raptors, even the GEN2 that I ordered preproduction was perfect. BTW, I've heard of that backup issue from multiple places. Anyway, I'm still up in the air, but leaning towards just getting GEN3 with Hennessy pack. Thank you again for your thorough response, and please let me know if you have any other issues. My TRX is built and getting loaded on transport to TX now, so I still have a few days.
One thing I REALLY like about the TRX is the interior. I have the carbon fiber package, red seat trim, pano sunroof, etc. Pretty loaded, and it is VERY nice. Better than my Gen 2 Raptor, but similar in feel. I'm hoping Ford brings their A-game and does something similar for the new Raptor. You won't be disappointed in the TRX. It absolutely flies on the street which brings lots of smiles. One thing I have noticed is going over speed bumps at normal speed is that the front end tends to bob up and down a few times after you go over. I also noticed it a bit on the street yesterday going over some undulations in the road. My Raptor feels gentle going over similar things, but the Fox shocks stop any bobbing after the fact. I'm not sure if it would do it in the other driving modes on the TRX, but I will continue to test it to see.

squeak11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the raptor in white. Of course it looks a lot like the gen 2 still. Not digging the bed graphics. Hoping they start releasing engine figures soon. Without a sizable bump going to be hard to justify an upgrade for a while even with the new rear suspension, exhaust sound and interior. Also hope it looks better in person which I feel is a good possibility.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk