GEN3 Forscan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Legacy32

Reaction score
I don't believe it should even be on with out a load...? that's weird.
It’s on every time the truck is started. You can go into the settings on the radio and turn it off every time the truck is on if you’d like, but it’s a pain in the butt to do it every time. So
I was looking for a forscan code to turn it off when the truck is started.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I made a post about this a while back breaking down the technical details and why CarPlay craps out a lot (usually at start of truck) and in certain areas. But to sum it up, it’s partly due to the protocol CarPlay uses to connected wirelessly.

When your phone connects to your car via wireless CarPlay it is not actually connecting via Bluetooth but by a 5Ghz band (this is what most wifi routers use today). Due to the congested nature of 5Ghz and it’s relatively low strength in terms of range compared to 2.4Ghz, I believe the signal that the raptor send out to your iPhone to connect gets interrupted by other signals. I’ve noticed that if I start my raptor near an airport and try to have it connect to my iPhone via CarPlay, it will simply fail to do it until I get far enough away (usually requires a cold restart of the vehicle, everything off and on again).

I’ve noticed the same issue near other areas of heavy 5Ghz (certain antennas and apartment complexes). Overall the issue is so sporadic that I can’t pinpoint the reason without proper debugging tools that only ford has access to.

So to put it plain and simple, your forscan mod likely did not cause the issue to start, I’ve had it happen from day one without any forscan. It’s weird too because if you try to plug in via usb for CarPlay, that often won’t fix it either. I’ve also noticed on the screen it says CarPlay is disabled and sometimes it can’t re-enable is unless I cold restart otherwise I get an infinite loading screen to enable it.

Hopefully ford finds a solution to this soon because it’s super annoying, at the minimum they could distinguish connecting via cable va wireless for CarPlay since it seems the vehicle tries to auto detect but use wireless first if it thinks it can (even if wireless is not working like mentioned above).
Thank you very much for reposting this.. It was really starting to bug the **** outta me.. and only today I was like, you know.. stop even thinking about it as that won't solve it..lol.
I even installed the next version of OS on my phone.. not the 16 but 15.7-- just to see if something got patched. another user said they went to 16, so my thinking was to try the next version for me.

I tried resetting the ford's system too with the hold power/skip next buttons just to see if that would work.

what's really interesting is what you say about the signals. The connection issues started at my house, in my driveway.. where I have parked since I got it.. nothing has changed.. not in my house, next to it maybe, possibly, not likely.. but nothing has really changed.. just have my truck for 4 weeks.. worked just fine for 3...

how can it just develop though? I get the interference part, but how would it just happen after a while and not right way?

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to move .fsl files in Forscan? I ran some tests using the live PID Oscilloscope, saved the file but cannot see the actual file on my C drive. If I use Load Log from File icon in Forscan i can magically see the file. I need to share this file and have no way of accessing the actual file.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to move .fsl files in Forscan? I ran some tests using the live PID Oscilloscope, saved the file but cannot see the actual file on my C drive. If I use Load Log from File icon in Forscan i can magically see the file. I need to share this file and have no way of accessing the actual file.
Have no idea but how about taking some screenshots when you can see the file and paste them to a word doc as an alternative? Just a suggestion…

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's really interesting is what you say about the signals. The connection issues started at my house, in my driveway.. where I have parked since I got it.. nothing has changed.. not in my house, next to it maybe, possibly, not likely.. but nothing has really changed.. just have my truck for 4 weeks.. worked just fine for 3...
Yea that is odd however I’ve noticed the same issues in my garage as well. Sometimes it happens consistently for 3 days then it’s fine and works every time for up to 2-3 weeks. Then it will strike back. I have to assume “something’s in the air” sometimes (lol) and caused interference. There could be long distance signals that could cause the error too maybe? I’d need to use my SDR to really check it out but I haven’t had it with my laptop on me when the issue is happening.
how can it just develop though? I get the interference part, but how would it just happen after a while and not right way?
I have a strong feeling, that once the connection faults right at the beginning even for a split second due to signal interference, the SYNC 4 firmware then falls like dominos failing. What I mean by this is basically the first error is thrown due to interference and then the error handler (or lack of error handler for such a scenario) prevents the vehicle from successfully pairing again for some time even if no interference is present.

The reason I believe this is that no matter what you reset, power will likely still be provided to the SYNC 4 system unless you disconnect the battery (modem for ford connect is always on). If there isn’t proper error handling, a cold restart (pulling power) is the only thing that could reset it immediately (from my experience working on embedded systems, I’m a software engineer though so my experience there is novice)

Anyway that’s just my hypothesis, I stopped having the issue so much so I haven’t looked into it in depth but it sure is annoying when it does happen.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that is odd however I’ve noticed the same issues in my garage as well. Sometimes it happens consistently for 3 days then it’s fine and works every time for up to 2-3 weeks. Then it will strike back. I have to assume “something’s in the air” sometimes (lol) and caused interference. There could be long distance signals that could cause the error too maybe? I’d need to use my SDR to really check it out but I haven’t had it with my laptop on me when the issue is happening.

I have a strong feeling, that once the connection faults right at the beginning even for a split second due to signal interference, the SYNC 4 firmware then falls like dominos failing. What I mean by this is basically the first error is thrown due to interference and then the error handler (or lack of error handler for such a scenario) prevents the vehicle from successfully pairing again for some time even if no interference is present.

The reason I believe this is that no matter what you reset, power will likely still be provided to the SYNC 4 system unless you disconnect the battery (modem for ford connect is always on). If there isn’t proper error handling, a cold restart (pulling power) is the only thing that could reset it immediately (from my experience working on embedded systems, I’m a software engineer though so my experience there is novice)

Anyway that’s just my hypothesis, I stopped having the issue so much so I haven’t looked into it in depth but it sure is annoying when it does happen.
I had posted in another thread about this.. My issue turned out to be a VPN on the phone.. I have since turned it off, and then found a setting in it... that setting was .. "block internet access when loosing connection..." I turned that particular feature off.. and the VPN back on. It has now (knock on wood) worked since then. That option even states it could give carplay issues among other apps..

I was just not thinking it through.. and then someone just barely mentions several things that might interfere, and one was a VPN..so i tried right away.

Tusk

Reaction score
Has anybody looked into using Forscan to save exhaust, damper, and steering modes? For those of us who have '21s, it kinda sucks having to cycle back to our favorite settings.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody looked into using Forscan to save exhaust, damper, and steering modes? For those of us who have '21s, it kinda sucks having to cycle back to our favorite settings.
Highly doubt it can help with that. Forescan helps you enable or disable features which are coded into the truck's modules, assuming the hardware is there to support it. Setting up a custom function which amounts to a script doesn't seem to me like something it could do. That's also coming from a '22 guy who doesn't have to worry about it.