GEN3 3 raptor Tailgate wont open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
On my 5th Raptor and have never see this: Gen 3 raptor (without power tailgate lift/open) and tailgate will not open. Doors will unlock using the remote, interior buttons, or keypad, but the tailgate will not open when you push on the tailgate button (the way manual tailgate normally would open). No valet mode is turned on. Backup cameras work fine. I checked all the harness connections behind the rear bumper already. I also removed the tailgate interior panel and inspected the actuator which does not seem stuck. There is no sound or any sound of clicking or trying to work when depressing any buttons, remotes regarding the tailgate . ANY IDEAS??
(by the way... I sadly easily pried up without damaging the Bakflip mx4 hardcover to gain access to the bed to remove the tailgate panel. Happy I was able to get in there ...but not.).

Adrenlin

Reaction score
I had a similar problem, but it was intermittent. First time into the shop they replaced the tailgate module. The issue resurfaced. They looked into it further and finally checked the connection to the Gateway Control Module, which is in the dash. They found that the factory connected the harness to the tailgate module, but they didn't latch it. So it was loose.

Not saying this is your problem, but it's a possibility.

OP
OP
Rapter Swaagga
Reaction score
Thanks so much Adrenlin. Posting this for others: Tailgate (not a power tailgate) would not unlock with either unlock interior buttons, remote, or the button on the tailgate handle. I removed the panel on the inside of the tailgate (facing the bed inside. removed 8 screws. Unclicked the two door rods on the controler. Removed two screws holding in the controler. Disconnected the lead wires from the control (plug and play type). I hooked a volt meter onto the leads and tested while pressing the button that opens the tailgate, clicked on the remote as well to test for power going into the controller. Since the leads had power when activated by the remote or tailgate button it could only be the controler. The parts department at a local ford dealer had a replacement and it should be noted that Ford has changed the part number which usually indicates a new version.IMG_3891.jpg

Last edited: