Gen2 Winching & Recovery Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Buckstop Classic with pre-runner grill guard with a Warn 9.5XP (actually the one pictured on the Buckstop webpage, mine was used to desing the bumper). It is only listed at 105 lbs over stock, without the grill guard only 75 lbs. over stock; mainly because the bumper is made of 1/4" aluminum instead of steel. The weigh is only noticeable in that it causes about 1/2" of front sag, but without any reduced approach angle I haven't had any off-road clearance issues, and the piece of mind with the winch (got stuck before the bumper/winch were mounted and had to be pulled by off-road dumptruck) is great.
Also, this opened up more airflow to the stock intercooler location, makes for a win-win!

How much does the winch and bumper block the front camera?
Nice setup btw.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Swarfworks hidden mount and Cobb Stage 2. If you want to maintain the stock look it seems to be the best option based on everything I have seen. I did contemplate grabbing a different winch compatible front bumper, but everything that appealed to me still required the IC relocation and had other downsides like the ACC relocation that wasn't fully worked out when I was looking.

Swarfworks will probably have a rear-mounted option available soon. He ran front and rear winches on his truck at Snoball and they were both awesome. I have used my Swarfworks front-mounted winch a ton and it works perfectly. I'm a fan and didn't think the install for both the IC and winch together was bad at all.

OP
OP
REMIX

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Swarfworks hidden mount and Cobb Stage 2. If you want to maintain the stock look it seems to be the best option based on everything I have seen. I did contemplate grabbing a different winch compatible front bumper, but everything that appealed to me still required the IC relocation and had other downsides like the ACC relocation that wasn't fully worked out when I was looking.

Swarfworks will probably have a rear-mounted option available soon. He ran front and rear winches on his truck at Snoball and they were both awesome. I have used my Swarfworks front-mounted winch a ton and it works perfectly. I'm a fan and didn't think the install for both the IC and winch together was bad at all.

Yeah, they're nice, but this is an unbelievably expensive, time consuming and difficult way to get a winch on this truck. Even a bare bones setup is crazy expensive. Then there are the potential warranty issues with relocating the IC. Not Swarfworks fault, Ford should have anticipated the need for a winch on their off road truck. Just too much of a nail biter for me.

For now, though, a hitch mount winch might be the best solution for me.

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading my rear bumper to this. It has the ability to add a winch mount behind the rear plate and I would rather have more weight in the back to try and load balance (ish)

https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/2015-up-f150-rear-motion-bumper-with-integrated-trailer-hitch/

This is actually a good option. I'm so used to wanting to see a fairlead in the front but a rear mount might just be the way to go without dealing with the Intercooler issues. Dose RPG also make a bolt on front bumper? I'll have to check EDIT: no bolt on front bumpers from them, bummer.

Now if @Addictive Desert Designs could just make a rear bolt on with winch mount.

I would really be interested to see their rear mount. Like Remix above said the cost and intercooler issues are what are keeping me away. Its $500 for kit, $1500 for an intercooler and you have to buy Warns most expensive winch for another $2,000. So $4,000 in parts not including labor (I do all my own labor so no biggie there) and have to deal with warranty issues if a turbo goes out.

Last edited: