Gen2 Winching & Recovery Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out best way to go with a winch/ intercooler setup.

Bob Davis

Reaction score
I'm a new member...2020 Magnetic on order...First post

In my research, I came across this...$319 . Using pulleys it can pull 8,000 pounds. Only weighs 41 pounds. "Winch-in-a-box". No idea if it would work well....but might surprise us. I don't want to get stuck when out alone.

71aEqgRfZCL._AC_AA180_.jpg
My preference is SWARFWORKS...keeping factory bumper...but have yet to find out if replacing the intercooler with a COBB STAGE 2 will VOID the warranty....an important issue. So I might end up with a Winch-in-a-Box.

Thanks to everyone's help, so far.

Bob D
former Jeep-H1 Hummer-Maverick X3 owner

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's my setup. This was just me testing it, i've since added a quick disconnect connector to the winch and back of the truck. Like someone else said, it's heavy, but it's not too big of a deal to put in in the bed when I plan on doing some off road. A front mount would be ideal, but I really didn't want to deal with having to buy a new IC and relocate it. This combine with a pair of max traxx should be able to get me out of any jams I find myself in, or help others get out of.

2019-04-15 15.16.08.jpg

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AH, and here's a photo of the connector. I didn't think I had a photo of this in my previous post.

2019-05-01 14.32.14.jpg

OP
OP
REMIX

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Harbor Freight winch has a ton of good reviews, and is what I was considering until I discovered you cannot get to the clutch lever with the factory bumper and Swarfworks mount. And that system requires a winch that is 6x more expensive LOL. Plus ANYTHING restricting airflow to the AC condenser is very worrisome. Don't want to spend $3,000+ to find out my AC doesn't work when I need it to in 100% humidity and 100 degree temps.

But $200 for a Warn connection kit to the battery? That's almost as much as the winch in the photo above.

Do you have a parts list for building a battery connection kit, or is that the Warn one?

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Buckstop Classic with pre-runner grill guard with a Warn 9.5XP (actually the one pictured on the Buckstop webpage, mine was used to desing the bumper). It is only listed at 105 lbs over stock, without the grill guard only 75 lbs. over stock; mainly because the bumper is made of 1/4" aluminum instead of steel. The weigh is only noticeable in that it causes about 1/2" of front sag, but without any reduced approach angle I haven't had any off-road clearance issues, and the piece of mind with the winch (got stuck before the bumper/winch were mounted and had to be pulled by off-road dumptruck) is great.
Also, this opened up more airflow to the stock intercooler location, makes for a win-win!

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Buckstop Classic with pre-runner grill guard with a Warn 9.5XP (actually the one pictured on the Buckstop webpage, mine was used to desing the bumper). It is only listed at 105 lbs over stock, without the grill guard only 75 lbs. over stock; mainly because the bumper is made of 1/4" aluminum instead of steel. The weigh is only noticeable in that it causes about 1/2" of front sag, but without any reduced approach angle I haven't had any off-road clearance issues, and the piece of mind with the winch (got stuck before the bumper/winch were mounted and had to be pulled by off-road dumptruck) is great.
Also, this opened up more airflow to the stock intercooler location, makes for a win-win!

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A half inch dyneema bridle onto front hooks with soft shackles wouldn't add any weight and give you a front pull option
As well. Dyneema would reduce winch weight if you replaced cable

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That Harbor Freight winch has a ton of good reviews, and is what I was considering until I discovered you cannot get to the clutch lever with the factory bumper and Swarfworks mount. And that system requires a winch that is 6x more expensive LOL. Plus ANYTHING restricting airflow to the AC condenser is very worrisome. Don't want to spend $3,000+ to find out my AC doesn't work when I need it to in 100% humidity and 100 degree temps.

But $200 for a Warn connection kit to the battery? That's almost as much as the winch in the photo above.

Do you have a parts list for building a battery connection kit, or is that the Warn one?

X-Haibei Pair 350 Amp 2/0 Gauge Battery Quick Connector Gray, Jumper Cables Connect Disconnect Plug with Waterproof Caps for Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L04A78U/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

SoundBox Connected 0 Gauge Red/Black Amplifier Power/Ground Wire Set, 50 Ft. Cables https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017VBMHRO/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

That’s what I got.you may also need a crimp tool.

Hammer Battery Lug Crimping Tool for 8, 6, 4, 2, 1/0, 2/0 American Wire Gauge (AWG) Wire and Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DBQZPNJ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20