Gen2 Trade in Value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATXraptor75

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I wanted to see what people have been getting for their trades on Gen2's. I hope this is a kosher thread.

I've got a 2023 on order and I'm trying to decide if its worth selling on the secondary market vs doing trades. Never traded in a vehicle in my life, always sold them myself because I had the time to do so.

Here's the stats on mine:
37,850 Miles
Ford Specs:
Black on Black
Supercrew
Twin Panel moonroof
802A Equipment Group
Autostart/stop - Disabled via Cobb Tuner
Tailgate Step
Tailgate Applique
Heated Steering Wheel
Raptor Tech Package
Adaptive Cruise Control
Second-row heated seats
Spray in Bedliner

Suspension- All installed by Texas Motorworx (receipts included)
-Gieser Front Springs (stock ones included)
-Deaver Rear Leafs +2
-Camburg Rear Bed Support and King Bumpstops

Engine:
Full Cobb Stage 2
Intercooler
Cold Air Intake
Catch-can
Tune
Dumped exhaust in front of rear axle

Bumpers
- SVC Frame cut front bumper
- Baja Designs Amber front light bar - wired to aux switch
- SVC Frame cut rear bumper

Brakes
- R1 rotors and pads
- Stainless steel gold lines

Wheels/Tires
Bronze Method beadgrip 701s
35in toyo M/Ts - like new

Maintenance:
Always performed by Ford dealership - Oil everything 3K
All records and receipts included. Clean Texas truck with everything documented. No loan, paid off.

Best Regards,
John

Last edited:

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So probably $49-$59K Private party in the ATX area?

OP
OP
ATXraptor75

ATXraptor75

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So probably $49-$59K Private party in the ATX area?

I've got the dealer to 50K trade in... so I'm at 53,125 value with the 6.25% Tax credit... Trying to squeeze them to around 54-55K for trade in value so I can get to upper 50's

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got the dealer to 50K trade in... so I'm at 53,125 value with the 6.25% Tax credit... Trying to squeeze them to around 54-55K for trade in value so I can get to upper 50's
This may go w/o saying….it can be a bit tedious, but since I’ve been buying new vehicles this how I’ve always handled the “trade” situation.

Initially there’s ZERO discussion about a trade in, i scour the online sales deals & put my criteria into the factory vehicle/dealer locator - wait for them to come to me w/ multiple offers. Then cherry pick the best deals outta whatever comes outta that, print em out/get a firm offer in writing/email & keep them on hand.

Then I’ll go around to other dealers (usually not the same company I want to buy from, get values on gen2 Raptor trade from a Ram dealer if my intent is to buy a gen3 etc) & getting values on my vehicle from the online traders & carmax/vroom etc. then I’ll cherry pick whatever the best offers for my current ride from that lot are & keep those in hand

Only then will I go, w/ ammo in hand, to the local dealers I may end up buying the new vehicle/Gen3 from & work as best a deal I can- I’d drive my wife’s SUV, or my vette or a friend’s car NOT the gen2 Raptor w/ 37k, I’ll get right to the last details of buying the new truck ironed out, & will use all the internet offers & cross country deals I have in hand as bargaining tool & if it’s getting close to the point where we’re haggling over them throwing a tonneau cover in THEN is when I’ll say, “oh & btw I’m actually thinking I may want to trade in my old Raptor on this instead of just laying out the cash- you know inflations a bitch! How do the #s look on my gen2 look on trade w/ this deal?”

Usually they get REAL ticked off- & I’ll whip put the best trade values I have on the gen2 & 1 of 2 things happens, they either begrudgingly match it since they have a sale for a high value vehicle right there in hand, or they lose all customer service credibility & a future customer permanently by telling you to go pound sand- & not gonna lie- that HAS happened to me.

I’m batting about .700 tho w/ this method & dont even try to convince me otherwise you could come up w/ a way to do better (unless you have an “in” w/ a dealer you know of course)

Like I said it’s tedious & can be a PITA doing an “acting” job to get a good deal on a new vehicle, but hot damn does it work well & eliminate the BS haggling.

Rptrrob702

Reaction score
Sell on your own,…. BUT…. Bring that buyer to the dealer you are buying from so that they treat it as a trade/sell. This way, you get the tax credit for “trading in”.
Had an owner of a Gen 1 I was in the process of buying private party tell me they want to do this at a dealership for the pass thru. It doesn't benefit the private seller at all as they are now applicable for paying sales tax. Hard pass and a waste of time for those looking for a private party deal.

OP - take your time and sell it privately. Your mods sound tasteful and I just paid 54K for a 17' 802A with 49k miles. You should be able to get that easy.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or they lose all customer service credibility & a future customer permanently

But why? They don't have to sell you a vehicle if they think someone else will pay more for it. How many Raptors have you bought with this method...Gen 3s are still over MSRP in many parts of the country...

OP you might get more going private party especially with those mods, but you have to factor in the headaches of the sale vs. just trading it in. Does the dealer know you have a tune and frame cut bumpers?

Or convert mostly back to stock and sell parts to make up some of that missing $5K. I doubt the dealer is giving you extra trade in for rims, bump stops, light bar, deavers, etc.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 17 with almost the same amount of stuff on it. I've been shopping for 6 months and have looked about every raptor there was each week. I think you could get 60 easily. They seem to be based off miles. Not year, although the 17s get a touch less.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Hi all,
I wanted to see what people have been getting for their trades on Gen2's. I hope this is a kosher thread.

I've got a 2023 on order and I'm trying to decide if its worth selling on the secondary market vs doing trades. Never traded in a vehicle in my life, always sold them myself because I had the time to do so.

Here's the stats on mine:
37,850 Miles
Ford Specs:
Black on Black
Supercrew
Twin Panel moonroof
802A Equipment Group
Autostart/stop - Disabled via Cobb Tuner
Tailgate Step
Tailgate Applique
Heated Steering Wheel
Raptor Tech Package
Adaptive Cruise Control
Second-row heated seats
Spray in Bedliner

Suspension- All installed by Texas Motorworx (receipts included)
-Gieser Front Springs (stock ones included)
-Deaver Rear Leafs +2
-Camburg Rear Bed Support and King Bumpstops

Engine:
Full Cobb Stage 2
Intercooler
Cold Air Intake
Catch-can
Tune
Dumped exhaust in front of rear axle

Bumpers
- SVC Frame cut front bumper
- Baja Designs Amber front light bar - wired to aux switch
- SVC Frame cut rear bumper

Brakes
- R1 rotors and pads
- Stainless steel gold lines

Wheels/Tires
Bronze Method beadgrip 701s
35in toyo M/Ts - like new

Maintenance:
Always performed by Ford dealership - Oil everything 3K
All records and receipts included. Clean Texas truck with everything documented. No loan, paid off.

Best Regards,
John
My $.02, dealers were very low on trade in value for our '18 Raptor and '18 Escalade in the last 6 months in TX. I ended up selling them both privately for about 6-7k more each than what we were offered. Which ended up being in the range of KBB trade in value. So keep that in mind.

Raptor took a bit longer since it was over 100k miles. Still worth it in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free