Gen2 - Locking Tailgate/Remote Release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baja714

Reaction score
Guys that have a Gen2 already. Does the tailgate lock? If so, are you able to lock/unlock and also lower it from the remote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys that have a Gen2 already. Does the tailgate lock? If so, are you able to lock/unlock and also lower it from the remote?

Tailgate locks when you lock the truck and will unlock when you unlock all doors. Single stage unlock does all doors plus tailgate on one click or when completing the keyless door code. Two stage unlock does the drivers door on first remote click or when entering the keyless door code. Second remote click will unlock the rest of the doors and the tailgate or pushing the 3/4 keyless button after the door code was entered.

802A give you the tailgate release from the remote. The gate opens by gravity so if the truck is parked facing down hill at all that won't work.

OP
OP
B

baja714

Reaction score
Tailgate locks when you lock the truck and will unlock when you unlock all doors. Single stage unlock does all doors plus tailgate on one click or when completing the keyless door code. Two stage unlock does the drivers door on first remote click or when entering the keyless door code. Second remote click will unlock the rest of the doors and the tailgate or pushing the 3/4 keyless button after the door code was entered.

802A give you the tailgate release from the remote. The gate opens by gravity so if the truck is parked facing down hill at all that won't work.

Right on thanks Darin.

Was mostly concerned with the tailgate locking so it doesnt get stolen, especially since I paid the extra $495 for the applique haha. Extra features will definitely be nice to have.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given all the frozen lock issues, I wish there was a manual release for the tailgate even on 802A

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hit the lock button on both key pad and key fob, then I try to open the tailgate and it opens. I have thousands of $ worth of work tools and this sketches me out. Not sure why mine won't lock?

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least on an 802A, if key is in your pocket it will auto unlock just like the doors. Try it with the key away from the truck.
That only works when your hand touches the handles of the two front doors. Pretty sure there’s no sensor on the tailgate release for that.

BigDinTexas

Reaction score
That only works when your hand touches the handles of the two front doors. Pretty sure there’s no sensor on the tailgate release for that.
I have a 2020, and I can have all doors locked and then walk up to my tailgate with the fob in my pocket and press the button on the handle and it will release as if there is a sensor. If i leave my fob inside, this doesn't work, so I believe there must be a sensor there.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020, and I can have all doors locked and then walk up to my tailgate with the fob in my pocket and press the button on the handle and it will release as if there is a sensor. If i leave my fob inside, this doesn't work, so I believe there must be a sensor there.
This is exactly how it works on my 2020.